Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, this is a recurring topic, but a good one nonetheless. I've searched around the net and the forums, but I really want all the information to be current.

I'm in the market for a new radio. God knows I'm far too young to be listening to AM while I drive around, and I dont think new head units look right. I already tried Custom Auto Sound (against advice from others) and was sadly disappointed, yet not surprised. I've looked into Retro Sound USA, and I'll get their product next if I cant find anything else.

What I really want -- and I know it can be done -- is for my original mustang radio to be gutted and be replaced with new internals.

For example: When done, I get to keep my original radio, but have access to FM, iPod as well as AM.

I know somewhere in this forum there has to be a user who knows a guy, who knows another guy, who's brother can do this.

So, any leads?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
There's a new thing out that you plug into your radio antenna, between the antenna and radio. You use your original AM radio, but, you can plug your ipod and when you hit play on your ipod that is what will come through your cars speakers. I'll look through my magazines to find the name of it.

EDIT: I found it. It's called "Redirad". Here is their website. http://www.rediscoveradio.com/

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Convert your classic Mustang AM radio to AM/FM/CD stereo!

Just something i ran across a while back that was stuck in my favorites, let me know if it is not what you are looking for and ill do some more searching. :bigthumbsup
I've also run across this in the past. I've tried to get in contact with "the radio man" but havent been able to reach him. Seems a little fishy to me.

There's a new thing out that you plug into your radio antenna, between the antenna and radio. You use your original AM radio, but, you can plug your ipod and when you hit play on your ipod that is what will come through your cars speakers. I'll look through my magazines to find the name of it.

EDIT: I found it. It's called "Redirad". Here is their website. RediRad Classic Car AM radio adapter- MP3/Satellite Radio to AM band
Now that's cool, and I like it. I've had similar things like that in the past in my newer cars, like something that plugged into the casset player and picked up FM. Those were iffy at best, working 50% of the time, so I may pass on that one for now.

I just replaced the all the wiring with a kit from american autowire, so I'd prefer to have something all new.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Well, if I were you I would get a retrosound. They seem to be a good radio.

I guess I really am the only person who got a good custom autosound radio. I have had the same USA-6, with cd changer, and ipod input for 3 years as of next week. Never had a problem with it.. ever.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See below message, double post.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, if I were you I would get a retrosound. They seem to be a good radio.

I guess I really am the only person who got a good custom autosound radio. I have had the same USA-6, with cd changer, and ipod input for 3 years as of next week. Never had a problem with it.. ever.
You're the lucky one out of 10,000.

Also, if anybody knows, does the Retrosound model use a push button on or a turn on? I prefer turning the volume knob opposed to pressing it because it feels more original.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts