Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to replace the cable on my 66 c-code with a c4 auto. there is a security lock on the nut! anyone hear of this? anyone know how to bypass this?

Thinking of cutting the cable and drilling the lock out on the bench.

any help is appreciated!!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Never heard of or seen a security lock on a speedo cable on a 66 Stang :headscratch:. Is it on the transmission end or the under the dash? In any case, by any means necessary, cut the cable if it is the only way(since you are going to replace the cable anyway).

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
There is no lock on it. All cars with the C4 use the same speedo cable, and I just replaced mine. The only thing that should be holding the cable into the transmission casing, is a clamp that is held in place by a bolt.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
If you're talking about where it attaches to the speedo head in the cluster, it should work with the older style threaded end. The teeth on the newer style clip grips onto the threads of the older design. You just squeeze the tabs together and slip it on over the threads. Try it before you go cutting anything. It should work if it's what I'm thinking of.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
since i can't post pictures here, i have pics of the lock on stangnet under jst6 with the same title of the post.

I'll just have to cut the cable and drill the lock out at the bench.

·
Registered
25,075 Posts
Hello, I just checked your post that had the links attached, they did not link to the pics for some reason, if you could upload the pics as attachments that would be great! Thanks!!

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello.:) There isn't a lock on the speedo cable of a 66, and there really isn't any sensible way for someone to rig one up. The cable just unscrews from the back of the speedo. There are, however, two screws, as shown in the picture, which could be mistaken for a locking mechanism of some sort. They are what attaches the speedometer itself to the instrument cluster.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
I just replaced my speedo cable and mine just unscrews from the back of the speedometer. Even the new cable didn't come with any locking device. Are you talking about where the cable attaches to the speedometer or at the transmission?:headscratch:

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again.:) I don't know what to tell you on that one, other than people sure do some funny things to their Mustangs. :headscratch: I can't imagine what benefit the dreaded Previous Owner thought would be derived from this, but he sure went to an awful lot of trouble. Yeah, that drill it out thing sounds like your best bet, assuming that he didn't have it keyed for the ignition or door lock key. I think that I'd try that first. You might get lucky. :gringreen Be careful not to mess up the threads where the speedo cable screws back on. :)

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
It looks like this lock was there to prevent milage tampering. This is a new one for me. I've never seen anything like this on a Mustang. When you said a lock, you weren't joking.

Can you cut the potmetal housing off with a cutting wheel? It may be easier to do this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cut the cable and pulled the whole cluster out. I tried drilling it out with no luck. I was able to push some pliers down one side and rotate the whole lock against the nut to get it off. The lock was made by T&A Manuf. in St. Paul, MN. Not sure of a timeline only that the business that made the lock is no longer in business.

BTW no go on the door key or ignition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
definitely not a Hertz model. I have the original Owners Manual and buyers name. most likely it was a trade in and a used car dealer did it somewhere along the way. The codes on the block indicate a regular C-code and match the #'s on the car.

No special history unfortunately;)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
That's a new one on me too. Never seen or heard anything like that before!

I had been thinking a rental or company car but with an individual for original owner I see why those ideas are out. Interesting lock though and seems to be specifically made for that purpose.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My 66 California coupe had that same lock. I took it to KAR Mustang in Columbus, and George contacted his son at ReenMachine in California, and their assessment was that it was probably a rental car security device.

I cut the speedo cable, then took the gauge cluster to a locksmith and had a key made. Cost me about $40, but I wanted to keep it since it is so unusual. There was a guy at the locksmiths who told me he's been in locksmithing since the early 60's, and he had never seen anything like it.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I have a friend that is in the car leasing business here in SoCal and has been for years. The business was originally started by his father. He told me that "back in the day" they would put anti-tampering devices on speedometer cables. The device was not a key lock but more of a bonnet that clamped on to the end of the cable preventing someone from disconnecting it. The bonnet needed a special tool to remove it. They didn't put it on all cars but just selected models. He said it was a common practice here. Kind of makes sense.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The lock actually unscrews when you put the key in and turn. I might get an old gauge cluster to display it when I go to car shows... once my car gets back together.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same Thing

I know this post is 6 years old, but I just bought a 65 coupe and had the same thing. I'm thinking of changing to Dakota Digital gauges so I can cut the cable no problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.