Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

I recently found a 66 fastback with the original 289. The engine is shot and I have decided to replace it. So I picked up a Ford Racing 302 Crate Engine, edebrock intake manifold, and edelbrock 4-barrel. It has an auto and I want to put in a manual. I have no idea which tranny to get. What would need to be done to the interior in the console for this to fit. How hard is this swap and what else will need to be installed. I also want the car to handle better and have no idea where to begin. Is there any kits available. All help will be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yow! Not askin' for much, are ya? ;)

Transmissions... Let's see... You could go to almost any Mustang parts supplier on the web to get a 5-speed conversion kit for a 66. (Including Mustang Depot, Mustangs Plus, and Sacramento Mustangs, to name a few.) The conversion kits are available separate from the transmission in most cases, so if you're looking to get a 5-speed on the cheap, you *might* be lucky enough to find a donor car somewhere. I've found only two places that have 6-speed conversion kits (which is what I plan to wedge into my 'Stang... you know... on the off chance I can find a place that'll pay a database developer what he's worth...) and they are: Dark Horse Performance and JMC Motorsports. (The Dark Horse kit includes the transmission, the JMC Motorsports kit does not. Not that it'll matter since you'll be hard pressed to find a donor car with a T56 in it...)

As for handling upgrades, well, I'm far from the best person to ask on the subject... I depend on others for my information on the topic and I have not gotten to that stage with my car as of yet. I can outline my plan of attack, however. It might help you decide what to do with your car...

Ninjamobile's plan to rule the world with a '66 Mustang Coupe:
1.) Wheels.
195-75-14 wheels have crappy contact patches. 225-45-17 wheels, on the other hand, own.
2.) Brakes.
Four-wheel drums just don't cut it. Four-wheel discs with 13s in front and 11s in the back do, however.
3.) Suspension / Handling.
This is where I get rather less sure... The following I know are must-haves: panhard rod (keeps your back tires from wandering around corners), negative roll camber kit (fixes understeer / oversteer), graphite bushings (stiffens suspension, keeps wheels on road where they belong), export brace (keeps front tires from wandering), and subframe connectors (stiffens car frame - necessary for higher-torque engine).
4.) Differential.
Gotta have a posi. You can get Detroit Locker third members for 8" rear-ends, so I may not need to track down a donor car to get a whole rear axle with a 9" pumpkin on it. I'm thinking 3.51 ratio or somewhere thereabouts. If you really want to kick your gas mileage in the ass, you can go higher, but it's not worth it, IMHO.
5.) Transmission.
I'm going with a T56 conversion, myself, as already stated.
6.) Engine.
Remains to be seen if I will try to upgrade my existing engine or trade it in on a crate with more horses, but I'm looking for something closer to 350hp.
7.) Paint Job.
I have no idea whose bright idea Emberglo was, but when that color fades, there's no "glo" left in the "Ember". It's just a hideous brown. My baby's gonna be Dark Moss Green. :)
8.) Rule the World.
It's just that simple! :evillol:

As you can see, from this plan, you have to work your way from the bottom up. If you neglect any one of these steps, you reduce the effectiveness of the next step. (Wheels, for instance, are the cornerstone of your car. Without a big enough contact patch, you'll suck on cornering and accelerating. Remember: if your wheels are spinning, you're wasting power.)

If you have any questions, lemme know. I'll be glad to help you out with the specifics...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dumb question, could somebody explain what a conversion kit is

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
Fordguy13 said:
Dumb question, could somebody explain what a conversion kit is
a kit that converts a part of a car to a different type of part, such as a disc brake conversion kit converts a drum brake car to a disk brake car

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know that sorry, more specifically a 5-speed conversion kit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The '66 originally came with and auto, 3 speed, or 4 speed transmission with a 1:1 final drive ratio. You could just find and install one of those. But, finding all the pieces can be a challenge after 40 years. In other words, unless you have a complete donor car or most of what you need (except the trans itself) still left in the car, it may be worth looking at a T-5 conversion. The T-5 is a late model 5 speed manual transmission. (You could put in a latemodel AOD automatic w/ overdrive, but the linkage is very tricky and if you screw up - you fry the trans.) Putting in a T-5 5 speed with a .65 or .68 final "overdrive" ratio lets you put in 4.11 rear gears for a kick ass take off and still cruise the highway in 5th like you only had 2.50 or something gears (ie very low rpms).

The T-5 "conversion kit" is designed to give you the parts to "convert" to being able to install a T-5. Usually a bell housing adaptor, cable style clutch release, transmission mount, driveshaft, etc, parts required to "convert".

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, never had much experience with trannies

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.