Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy headers for 66 coupe and need advice, opinions and experience. So far I've decided ceramic is the way to go and need advice besides issues with ground clearance. It is a work in progress and so far have added some basics (Ebrock manifold, 600cfm carb, Flowmaster 40's, Pertronix Flamethrower) otherwise it is stock. Slowly piecing things together, not looking to make it a race car, and would like to hear thoughts, advice and experience.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I made a thread almost identical to this....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reference. Read through it but I did not see much debate about shorty vs. long tube but good info...I see you were looking at Pertronix, did you go long or short?

·
Registered
292 Posts
After looking at the info, longtube supposedly gives you more hp for what you want compared to shorty by far lol

·
Registered
278 Posts
I had some ceramic coated tri ys installed in my fastback and have been very happy. They were good enough for Carroll Shelby back in the day. Nuff said

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Really depends on options on the car (PS, T5, AOD, etc.) as far as running into fitment issues and if you want max power out of them and have matched the rest of the components to take advantage of this. Tri-y's would be my first choice for a street car or mild racer, best all around power and cylinder balance. I went long tube and wish I would have gone midlength or Tri-y (if i could find a set that fit PS w/o using a drop bracket). With the long tube I ran into one fitment issue after another and had to weld and use a BFH to get them to fit/clear my AOD.
Jon

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great advice guys. Apppreciate the advice on long tube fit and AOD. No plans for PS or swapping AOD out. Some folks recommend having headers machined to ensure a good fit and prevent problems. Anybody heard of this? Would assume name brand, good quality should fit fine without need to machine?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
another factor to consider is that long tube headers have a tendency to produce more heat under the hood. also before you decide for sure on ceramic headers I would strongly recommend you look into jet hot. you get about the same look, excellent longevity, reduced under hood temps and they are about half the cost of the same header ceramic coated. what I always do is decide on the header I want, call jet hot give them the part number and they give me a price, they order the headers coat them and ship them to your door again for about half or less the cost of ceramic coating.
JET HOT

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the Jet Hot link, great idea. Always looking to save a little $$.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I've been curious as well, but also broke, just future planning. I've heard both praise and condemnation for the tri-ys, so I'm not sure about those. However, I plan on upgrading from a C4 to a T5, and right now my C4 has a B&M shifter. The shift cable interferes with the exhaust right now if it's installed as intended by B&M (I rearranged it so it fits, but I don't really like it), so would long tubes necessitate moving the exhaust away from the trans, or has anyone encountered this issue?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts