Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am restoring my 66 Fastback V8 drum brakes. Everything has been bead blasted and powder coated- spindles, backing plates, etc. All hardware, wheel cylinders and springs replaced. I eventually want to replace with disc but at a later date.When I bolt up the restored backing plates to the spindles I assume I would need a gasket to go between the two according to a recent issue of Mustang Monthly.Where can I get this gasket? I cant find listed anywhere. It looks like when I took them apart all there was there was a round foam like ring gasket. I also cannot find anywhere where I can get one spring that seemed not to be supplied with the kits that stretches between the shoes right under the wheel cylinder on each assembly. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
That is a dust seal, it is foam, it is not that important, if it was me I would leave it out, or check out some of the mustang part sites like NPD, Virginia Classic, Year One, etc. When you convert to disc you will change the backing plated anyway. The return spring under the wheel cylinder you should be able to at any local auto parts store or the sites above, also it goes on one way if you put it on upside down it rubs on the snout of the drum and will wear the spring in too, as well as making a little noise. Good Luck.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Rock auto, like $1 each, just got mine a few days ago.

·
Registered
913 Posts
When I bolt up the restored backing plates to the spindles I assume I would need a gasket to go between the two according to a recent issue of Mustang Monthly.Where can I get this gasket? I cant find listed anywhere. It looks like when I took them apart all there was there was a round foam like ring gasket.
AKAIK, the foam front brake seal is not available. I use some RTV silicone there.

I also cannot find anywhere where I can get one spring that seemed not to be supplied with the kits that stretches between the shoes right under the wheel cylinder on each assembly.
The retracting spring was dropped back then by Ford as not needed, and no one makes them. I've checked. You might be able to find one on an old car with 10" front brakes

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info, I just put some RTV black there and it should work fine. I was able to media blast the springs today with some fine media and they look like new, a little paint and they should be good. I will install them even though I could get away without it. I was just at the Rock Auto website, I believe that gasket TED1 is for the inside of the backing plate where the bearing retainer bolts up. I just went to NAPA and made mine out of sheet gasket material. I will have to keep Rock Auto as a favorite. I do buy alot of parts from CJ Pony Parts in Pennsylvania, cheap prices and free shipping. Thanks for all the replies. I am sure I will have alot of questions in the near future doing the V8 conversion but am learning alot. It is great to be a part of a site like this with so many Mustang enthusiasts to help me out! Thanks ALL FORD MUSTANGS!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks David, I spent alot of time on the web and I even went to a Ford dealership and they could not help me out. I was able to media blast mine and will paint them up, they should look good .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts