Ford Mustang Forum banner

67 car in a box

351 Views 10 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Grimbrand
Good morning everybody. Finally got the driveline installed, talk about a tight fit, especially with the 428 Cobra Jet head and exhaust manifolds. My next question is the radiator. Apparently this had a saddle mount radiator in it because I found the upper saddle Mount. What size is it, two or three inch and how many core, and did it come with a fan shroud?. After I figure that out then we'll worry about a fan blade
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
There are lower mounts that bolt on the A arms. Get the largest capacity radiator in stock configuration with a big block shroud. Both are readily available from the Mustang suppliers. Consider a clutch type fan for big block also. Cooling the beast can be a problem with just wrong part.
@FE468Stroker is dead on.

There were two basic radiators available in '67 and '68. The one you want is referred to as the "big block" radiator, and should be a 3 core 24" wide copper/brass unit. When combined with the standard big block 7 blade fan and thermal clutch, along with a proper shroud, it'll keep your engine nice and cool with no fuss at all.

The smaller 18" standard radiator would not be adequate, especially on hot days in traffic.

I would avoid going with an aftermarket solution here if you can; most of them are too thick and obstruct airflow through the cores, or just oversaturate the air with heat so the extra thickness doesn't help. Aluminum radiators tend to corrode away unless you take coolant changes seriously, and use good quality antifreeze; aluminum will try to sacrifice itself to 'repair' rust in your cooling system. When you combine an old engine with a new radiator, this often leads to issues over time.

As an aside, you can readily find all of it at West Coast Classic Cougar. Most of the Mustang and Cougar drivetrain parts are interchangeable, and this radiator setup is no exception. They list it for both cars.
Ok thanks.After speaking with Bill at Mansfield Mustangs,Don at WCC is going to be my next call.My local radiator shop,which has been in business since the 1930's,is having a hard time finding a brass and copper radiator.Since the car does not have A/C,do I need a fan clutch?Bill told me because of the way this engine is set up,there is not enough room for a 4 core radiator.390 with 428 CJ heads and an aluminum interceptor intake.It was turned into a drag car,now going back to a driver.
The 4 core radiators suck, for the aforementioned reasons. The factory radiator should keep you nice and cool!

The clutch is also an integral part, allowing this big fan to really draw a ton of air when the engine needs help, but 'freewheeling' and letting the engine rev without robbing 20-30 horsepower like a flex fan or other fixed fan designs would. It doesn't have much to do with air conditioning, just letting your engine make power without thrashing a bunch of air when it doesn't need to. It's good for economy too!
Ok thanks.After speaking with Bill at Mansfield Mustangs,Don at WCC is going to be my next call.My local radiator shop,which has been in business since the 1930's,is having a hard time finding a brass and copper radiator.Since the car does not have A/C,do I need a fan clutch?Bill told me because of the way this engine is set up,there is not enough room for a 4 core radiator.390 with 428 CJ heads and an aluminum interceptor intake.It was turned into a drag car,now going back to a driver.
Okay. I'll have to hunt down a fan clutch.but my question also is, is there enough room for that fan clutch
There should be enough room. Ideally the fan blades need to be half in/half out of the shroud. There are different width spacers available to position it correctly.
You should watch the video on WCCC about cooling systems.

Okay. I'll have to hunt down a fan clutch.but my question also is, is there enough room for that fan clutch
These have been all good responses on here.
Plenty of these cars came with a 390 and a clutch fan from the factory so there will be no issues with fitment as long as you buy all the correct parts since your current configuration isn't really anything far from a stock 4v 390.
You keep mentioning the 428 heads and aluminum intake but they're not really going to affect installation. The heads are going to be the same basic physical dimensions as 390 heads and that intake is a low/mid height dual plane. I actually own one of those 428CJ aluminum intakes and it's not really very tall at all so there should be no hood clearance problems. The 428 was an option in 1968(same body as 1967) and Ford was able to get it in there with those exhaust manifolds.
I'm pretty sure all big block Mustangs came with fan shrouds.
I've been running the FE engine in a '68 Mustang for the last 30 years or so. Cooling can be a problem in the summer in traffic so it is important to use the correct parts. There just isn't room in the engine compartment to provide good air flow. Shelby even put hood louvers on the '68 GT500 cars to try and help the situation. But unless you are planning on running in a parade in July, the stock radiator, fan, shroud and thermostat will work. Another inexpensive trick is to run a length of chain from the driver's side head to the A frame. Why? The torque of the FE will destroy the left side motor mount in short order. It's not pretty when that happens. Leave very little slack in the chain and feel free to hammer on it when the urge hits.
Reactions: Grimbrand
As an alternative to the chain, you can drill a hole through the middle of each motor mount, and put a bolt through with washers and a nut to act as a limiter. That way the elastomer can't stretch enough to shear, but even if it did, your motor mount stays together.
I've been running the FE engine in a '68 Mustang for the last 30 years or so. Cooling can be a problem in the summer in traffic so it is important to use the correct parts. There just isn't room in the engine compartment to provide good air flow. Shelby even put hood louvers on the '68 GT500 cars to try and help the situation. But unless you are planning on running in a parade in July, the stock radiator, fan, shroud and thermostat will work. Another inexpensive trick is to run a length of chain from the driver's side head to the A frame. Why? The torque of the FE will destroy the left side motor mount in short order. It's not pretty when that happens. Leave very little slack in the chain and feel free to hammer on it when the urge hits.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts