Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey this is my first post on all for mustangs. i have been very impressed with the helpful info people receive in regards to technical assistance. already, this site has been very helpful, so thank you.

I will be restomodding my 67 mustang coupe. very excited. i used to do body work and have painted a few cars, but i am very busy and plan to hire out the work. i do not know a lot about engines and what not not, so i was hoping to get some help here.

I have been put into contact with a very highly recommended private engine builder in phoenix, AZ. i am pretty sure he will be doing the build for my 351 w. but, every time i talk to him on the phone, he is adamant about finding out whether the existing pulleys from my 289 will bolt onto my new 351w? does anybody know about this? he is trying to give me a precise estimate in everything that will go into into this swap, so anyone who is knowledgeable about this i would very much appreciate any feedback.

also, if you have any tips, hints or any other helpful info in regards to this swap please feel free! thank you all!

·
Registered
831 Posts
The deck height on a 351 is about an inch taller than the 289, so this might affect things, but as to his specific worry, I can't say.

Have you asked him why? If he balks, or give a BS answer (like most of my answers :) ) you might want to find somebody else.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

·
Registered
876 Posts
They make aftermarket pulley kits you can buy for the swap that clean up the engine bay as well. I don't see why the pulleys would affect the engine build at all

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my first response! I'm also building a 351w because I blew the 289 that came was in the mustang. Anyways I'm trying to make sure that everthing will bolt up before I drop the engine in the car. I don't pretend to know a lot but I'll share my experence from the passed month.

The 289 was a 3 bolt crank pulley. My 351w is a 4 bolt crank pulley and has a larger Inter diamater than the 289. When I ordered all of my parts I ordered for a 1994 block because of the block numbers. That being said, the water pump is a counter clock wise pump which only works with a proper timing chain cover.

Now. I don't plain to have power steering, AC, and so on. So the counter clock wise pump wasn't going to work for me because it has to be ran with a serpentine belt. So today I ordered a after market v-belt setup through cvf racing. If you're only running a alternatora and water pump this may work for you as well. You need a clockwise water pump, and the timing cover to fit it. You have to either order an aftermarket cover or find an old one in the early 70's. sorry for the bad spelling! hahaha

I hope this is helpfull!

·
Registered
657 Posts
The 65-68 289/302 Crank pulley won't fit a 69 Windsor, or for that matter any 351W.

The 69 351 Windsor had a 3 bolt damper, and a different center hole configuration than the earlier crank pulleys.

The 70 up, 302, 351 had 4 bolts to retain the crank pulleys, plus a Bazillion different difference than the early Crank Pulleys.

So, tell you engine builder--Get new pulleys.

Dan @ Chockostang

1 - 5 of 5 Posts