Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all...
New to the site and just had some general questions about parts for my 67 Coupe. After having some welding done to fix rust and such, I'll be getting my car back in a week or two. I see a bunch of talk about changing axles, engines, etc etc. How do you guys find out where these alternate parts will fit on this car? For example, how do I know if a 9" rear end from a "insert car here" will fit, work or is even good for this car? This is an all matching car right now and my goal is to have it look classic but with a few modern upgrades. Inside will be customed out and I want to put disc brakes, PS and A/C inside it as well ...minus some suspension/driveline stuff..I want it to look pretty much stock on the outside. I'm not looking for major horsepower gains or anything like that...just a cool, everyday driver that can get up and go sometimes... Thanks for any input.

Shark

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) :welcome As far as the rear end goes, people have already, by trial and error, done the homework for you. If you find a car that has a 9 inch rear axle assembly, you can just post it here, and somebody has already tried that, and can tell you what was involved. There are also lists of potential donor cars out there, which someone will post, I'm sure. There are many manufacturers of disc brake conversion kits, some better than others. :gringreen I've never had any complaints with the stainless steel brake corporation's stuff. There is also a user here, Chockostang, that is in that business. I have no direct experience with his products, but, there are people here that have bought his stuff and they still speak highly of him. :gringreen I do know that he is a very nice man, though. That should count for something. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Welcome to the site!:bigthumbsup Like Veronica said, almost any configuration has been used at least once. If you've tried researching it and haven't found anything, don't be afraid to ask. Surely someone here will be able to help you out!

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Hi y'all...
New to the site and just had some general questions about parts for my 67 Coupe. After having some welding done to fix rust and such, I'll be getting my car back in a week or two. I see a bunch of talk about changing axles, engines, etc etc. How do you guys find out where these alternate parts will fit on this car? For example, how do I know if a 9" rear end from a "insert car here" will fit, work or is even good for this car? This is an all matching car right now and my goal is to have it look classic but with a few modern upgrades. Inside will be customed out and I want to put disc brakes, PS and A/C inside it as well ...minus some suspension/driveline stuff..I want it to look pretty much stock on the outside. I'm not looking for major horsepower gains or anything like that...just a cool, everyday driver that can get up and go sometimes... Thanks for any input.

Shark
the internet is your friend. Chances are any question you have has been addressed a million times over already, which not only makes it easy to find solutions, but you also get to see opinions and viewpoints from a wide variety of people.

·
Registered
12 Posts
rear for 67 coupe here is a good idea I used it .. find a ford explorer from 1994 or so .. it will fit easy and will have disk brakes on it free.. you will just need to move the spring s thinkg I will take the old I6 rear and the new rear to the shop that way they can mesure the old and then off to the junkyard ! i paid $100 and came with the leafs they dont fit so all the old 67 leaves and lots of stuff not using again junkyard paid $50 fot it woo hooo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ready to get started!!!

Thanks y'all! I appreciate the input so far and thanks for making me feel welcome! I just got my car back from the fabricators today and am super excited to get started on all the stuff left that I have to do..

I'm going to start at the front and work my way back. I've bought a number of books about restoring classic mustangs, rebuilding ford engines/transmissions and some others. I like to use Eastwood.com for research/products on the restoration but would like to know what y'all would use to paint the engine compartment? The car is entirely primed right now and the only thing still left attached to it is the suspension/tires and steering ability. Everything else has been removed. I was thinking of black primer over the existing primer and then some high-temp black---is that what most of you use? suggestions are certainly welcome! Take care and have a very Happy New Year!!!

Shark

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
What's wrong with the existing primer that you want to put more primer over it?

I'm telling you what I used--note this doesn't mean it's the only good option to use--it's just what I used. And it's good stuff :bigthumbsup

It was Bill Hirsch chassis black. Beautiful semi-gloss, sprays nicely out of the can (it's a patterned spray), and is very durable and chip/chemical resistant after fully cured. It still looks as good as new after two years in my engine bay DURING a restoration (when the engine bay takes more abuse than when the car is being driven).

Here is what I did and used.

1967 Mustang Restoration: In this issue: Lots of paint, and lots of caulk

Be sure to scuff the primer with a red scotchbrite first before you spray over it, whatever you end up using.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts