Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pulled the instrument cluster to fix a few things. reinstalled and the IC night lights don't work. on the bench, all the lights work. have 12 volts from the light switch to the plug but somehow, the power is lost soon as I plug in the IC. where did the power go ? blinker work, wipers work, brake work, high beam lights work, courtesy lights work, but not the ic night lights. I can get the IVR to pulse on an analog meter. I can read 12 volts off the light switch but cannot get the volts to decrease as i rotate the light switch rheostat. any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
2,764 Posts
Welcome to ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your account details.
We’re glad you’ve joined us.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Sounds like you light switch is bad. There is a small metal finger that rides on a coil of wire embedded in the white ceramic disk. The contact point gets crud on it, needs to be cleaned or worked off. Sometimes the finger just falls off. You have to take the switch out to see.

HL Switch, as Removed, 005.JPG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like you light switch is bad. There is a small metal finger that rides on a coil of wire embedded in the white ceramic disk. The contact point gets crud on it, needs to be cleaned or worked off. Sometimes the finger just falls off. You have to take the switch out to see.

View attachment 779254
Thanks, i tried a new switch, nothing. so, I pulled everything out, switch, IC, radio, steering wheel. followed power all over the place but could never find the short or the problem. the dash lights mysteriously came back on. put everything back together 1 component at a time checking the lights every step of the way...could not get them to turn off again. no clue what happened but they work

1 - 4 of 4 Posts