Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to ask all you mustang experts what would be best for my 67 mustang. right now it has the 302 in it but i wanted to get a little more kick out of it. So my options are a 351 windsor, 351 cleveland, or possibly a 428cj if it can fit. What is the best for a my car, it is a daily driver in the summertime.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Depends on your budget and your goals. Since I'm a cheepo and like twisty roads rather than drags, if it was me I'd overhaul the 302 with a new cam, intake, headers, exhaust and carb.

351W is basically the same motor, just a longer stroke and taller deck height on the block.

The big block will eat up your wallet because along with all the engine costs you'll have to modify the suspension just to carry all that extra weight. And the car won't handle as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just go with a 6 cylinder just as good as any 428cj.....kidding haha, i gotta go with Yadkin on this one

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya thanks guys I am only 19 and my wallet is a bit thin at the moment but because the 302 that is in there right now is a bit junky and the previous owner told me that a new engine would be a good idea because right now it is running on racing fuel or something. I would like to stick to 8 cylinder for sure not going down to a six but I really dont see a deffierence in the 351 windsor and the 351 cleveland but yet i see that people are arguing over wich one is better yet I have no clue what the difference really is. I see that some people are saying that you should take the standard windsor and add some cleveland parts and it will be better than every again I have no clue.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
The Cleveland is a different block than the 289/ 302/ 351W which are all considered the "small block" family. The smalls were used in a lot of cars and many parts are interchangeable so you tend to get a lot of bang for the buck. The 351C engine was intended as an eventual replacement for the larger small blocks but it was only made for 5 years, while the small blocks were made for almost 40.

The C engine is also externally larger and for easy maintenance smaller is always better.

Wikipedia has a lot of good info on both engine families.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts