Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi New Friends!

My name is Jes and I have a 67 Mustang Coupe 289 2bbl V8.
Don't be mad, but I know nothing about cars. I bought this car because you only live once and new cars are lame.

So I will be here lots asking questions that your daughter/sister/wife might.

You've been warned!

I cannot drive this car without the windows being down, the smell of exhaust is strong. And I get out of the car and smell like it. Is this normal? Surely Don Draper did not go around smelling like gasoline... I have a sensitive nose, so am I to expect a bit of a smell or is this a sign of a problem we have not found yet? I am mainly concerned as winter approaches and I don't want to be Ace Venturing it with my head out the side of the window to breath.

The mechanic replaced the fuel hose and pump and exhaust flange.

My other question is-

I know these were not fitted for defrost, so what is your best recommendation for this? I am in SoCal, so I am not dealing with ice. Just the early morning, late night chills. Dew on windows and foggy inside. The guy I bought it off of bought a Defroster Duct... is that related to this? Or is that for something else?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Hi New Friends!

My name is Jes and I have a 67 Mustang Coupe 289 2bbl V8.
Don't be mad, but I know nothing about cars. I bought this car because you only live once and new cars are lame.

So I will be here lots asking questions that your daughter/sister/wife might.

You've been warned!

I cannot drive this car without the windows being down, the smell of exhaust is strong. And I get out of the car and smell like it. Is this normal? Surely Don Draper did not go around smelling like gasoline... I have a sensitive nose, so am I to expect a bit of a smell or is this a sign of a problem we have not found yet? I am mainly concerned as winter approaches and I don't want to be Ace Venturing it with my head out the side of the window to breath.

The mechanic replaced the fuel hose and pump and exhaust flange.

My other question is-

I know these were not fitted for defrost, so what is your best recommendation for this? I am in SoCal, so I am not dealing with ice. Just the early morning, late night chills. Dew on windows and foggy inside. The guy I bought it off of bought a Defroster Duct... is that related to this? Or is that for something else?

Thanks everyone!
I cannot drive this car without the windows being down, the smell of exhaust is strong. And I get out of the car and smell like it. Is this normal?

No...chances are the exhaust system is leaking....this is very dangerous and should be inspected.

I know these were not fitted for defrost, so what is your best recommendation for this?

Yes, every car has/had a defroster system.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You likely have an exhaust leak. You should get that fixed right away. Also, don't be so sure that you aren't dealing with ice. When I lived in Pasadena I came out to my car one time to find a thick layer of ice on my windshield.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Agree you likely have an exhaust leak. The flange is where the exhaust manifold bolts to the exhaust pipe. More likely he just put in a new doughnut seal. After 40+ year who knows what your system has now. So get to a shop. There is a chance your trunk seal is shot and the fumes are coming in from the trunk. You may even have a rust hole causing it.

The defrost works by 3 doors moving inside the heater box, the big black plastic thing on the right side under the dash. One of them, at the top of the hump, directs the air to your feet or the windshield thru 2 flexible hoses to vents on the top of the dash. Each door is controlled by one of the levers on the dash.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with checking the exhaust as well as the trunk floor, also have the carb checked to make sure the car isn't running to rich.
As for the defrost, all these cars had defrost it's the A/C systems that a lot of cars didn't have. There were even a few that had a rear defrost as well using a blower motor & heating element that mounted under the center of the package tray but these are EXTREMELY rare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts