Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i need to replace my Front suspension. i searched and could not find any info. what would be needed and some of the kits i saw range in price. so what would be the best kits and any ones u all have on ur cars let me know thank you.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
So, in 0.1 seconds the search terms '67 mustang suspension' burped out 836,000 results in google, all about 67 mustang suspension, and tons of answers and options to your question...more than you would ever get in this single thread. It's a tired subject because it comes up so frequently. Search here as well because there have been many threads on it.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Here's a good primer article before you start, might want to look into the 1" Shelby/Arning drop, it's worth it.
DazeCars, Suspension 101

Don't mind Lizer, he woke up on the wrong side of his nail bed, again..:kooky:
Most every mustang parts supplier gets their kit contents from offshore suppliers (China) and you get what you pay for. After reading the suspension 101 take a look at ORP's site that Craig posted above and you will see a lot of the improvements from the article in his products. From John i would suggest his street UCA (~$40 more/pr. than the chinese repops but 100% better) and his roller spring perches for a street car or weekend warrior. John will tell you the roller UCA/LCA would be overkill for anything but a track car. He uses MOOG LCA, which I also highly suggest after using the repops and the MOOGs. The bushings slid in my repop LCA after ~6mos. of driving and caused bind and metal wear.
Jon

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
hey, don't be knocking the nail bed until you try it!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i did search and it was not the answer to my questions. the kits i was looking at have 2 COMPLETE UPPER CONTROL ARMS, 2 COMPLETE LOWER CONTROL ARMS, 2 COIL SPRING SADDLES, 2 COILS SPRING CUSHIONS, 1 PAIR OF SWAY BAR END LINKS, 1 PAIR OF SWAY BAR BUSHINGS, 1 SET OF STRUT ROD BUSHINGS." what else is needed?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
except for CJ's, the other two links didn't work for me. I wouldn't go with the CJ's kit, JUST because I wouldn't be surprised if the bushings were rubber. I don't know what the other kits will be, though the Mustangs Plus kit will probably be Grab A Trak, which is pretty good stuff.

The one thing you are missing in the list above is the actual coil springs themselves.

You basically have two options: keep your hardware and replace the bushings, or replace everything, even the hardware.

I personally don't care for the kits because I like to pick and choose which parts I get. For instance, it's most ideal to go with Moog tie rod ends and LCA only because Moog makes very good quality suspension parts.

For bushings, I used Energy Suspension (Suspension Restoration Parts Co.) polygraph (graphite impregnated polyurethane), or you can go with a Performance Suspension Technology (Performance Suspension Technology) kit. In this way you simply replace the bushings in your existing parts (except for the LCA). The UCA threads should be checked to make sure they are still good and not stripped, and then I replaced the UCA shaft and bushing (get this from any Mustang vendor).

Replacing bushings only is probably more work because I had to hot tank and blast the old hardware, and then paint it, and then assemble with the new bushings but it was probably a little cheaper to go that route.

You might also consider increasing the diameter of your sway bar and going with a 1" or a little large, this will improve handling, as well as adding a Monte Carlo bar across the engine bay.

This is how I did my rebuild:
1967 Mustang Restoration: This will be a suspens(ion)ful entry!

1967 Mustang Restoration: Things are slowly starting to come together

1967 Mustang Restoration: Rebuild phase 1 complete

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
See how much nicer Lizer is after a good nights sleep. As he said you are better off cherry picking your parts as opposed to an all in a box kit, they usually cut corners on some of the parts. I would look local first for any Moog parts you can find then get the remaining kits you may need. They sell the bushings, etc. in smaller kits. If the quality doesn't matter then any of those kits will do obviously.
Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
See how much nicer Lizer is after a good nights sleep. As he said you are better off cherry picking your parts as opposed to an all in a box kit, they usually cut corners on some of the parts. I would look local first for any Moog parts you can find then get the remaining kits you may need. They sell the bushings, etc. in smaller kits. If the quality doesn't matter then any of those kits will do obviously.
Jon
I would agree with this completely - except - if you order a suspension kit from Opentracker - I think it is pretty much cherry picked.
I have used two of his kits (well, really packages he put together) and they are top quality - probably saved me a little $$ over cherry picking, and saved a lot of time.

Opentracker Racing Products - Products Page

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Very true Beri, I was only referring to the 3 kits that the OP linked to which are from big box Mustang suppliers and not custom builders or modders like John at ORP.
Jon

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Jon,
We are on the same sheet of music - and since you have a '67, you also realize that the lower control arms are unique on a '67 - most "generic" kits just throw in '68 stuff - Opentracker is one place that actually sells a '67 LCA.

Opentracker Racing Products - Lower Control Arms

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Yes, there are quite a few '67 only things I come across, like strut rods...
I think MOOG just started remaking the '67 LCA's which are the one's John sells and mods. They are also sold pretty cheap by Virginia classic mustangs (~$50ea.= cheaper than the repops).
Everyone told me to just switch to the '68 stuff but then you have to change SR as mentioned. I didn't want to have to remember years from now what year each part was from so I stay '67 if at all possible.

One of these days I'm going to get my car on the road and come down to see you Beri or hopefully we can meet up at a show like Huntsville or Pulaski.
Jon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts