Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was installing a disc brake conversion on my front end and I was trying to disconnect the hard line that is attached to the rubber line. Does anyone know where I can find this line? Its actually coupled together in the engine bay and goes through the fender and connects to the rubber hose that goes to the wheel cylinder. Any info would be great!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Almost any parts store will have something that will work in a basic steel line. It may be a few inches long but you can just put in some extra bends or cut and re-flare. The big vendors also sell pre-bent lines.

If you need something fancy, you will have to be more specific.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I was fairly specific, but this will make it Barney style

Attachments

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Your original posting has a picture of a brake line kit so you must know where to buy those. The kits sell for a little over $100 for the entire car or around $40 just for the front of a '67. (NPD shows 7 different kits for the front of a '67. For a complete car set there seem to have been 10 different variations for '67.) No one that I know of goes to the trouble to sell the individual lines in those kits. If they did, the individual lines would have to cost about the same $40 since they would rarely ever sell one of them. If you want just one line then Driveway gave you the answer. Go to NAPA, or wherever, and they will have a selection of straight brake lines in various lengths. Buy what you need and bend it to fit.

Your car has already been that route since your first photo shows a brake line with a non-factory splice in it. They likely screwed up the end fitting and spliced in a new line section from NAPA. If you buy a long enough line you won't need a splice.

Using flare nut wrenches on brake lines will help avoid problems.

Flare Nut Wrenches

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your car has already been that route since your first photo shows a brake line with a non-factory splice in it. They likely screwed up the end fitting and spliced in a new line section from NAPA.http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2650-Flare-Wrench-6-Piece/dp/B000NPUJO4
Actually the line is coupled together from the factory. The long line that goes across the firewall to the passenger side needs one so you can just replace 1 of either side, passenger or driver. It was either that or make one long piece going from fender to fender and would be a hard task to replace.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Your photos helped and I seemed to have missed the one in the original comment. I recently replaced all the lines and hoses in the front and ended up with a union fitting much like yours. I went to O'Reilly and got a union in the package. But the inside did not have the cones so it leaked. I then went to NAPA and got one with the cones inside and it was OK.

Your original comment did not say what the defect was with the line, only "I was trying to disconnect". I can only guess the nut rusted tight to the line and twisted it. Correct? This should not be a problem if it is the old line. Are you more concerned about the union fitting? Looks? Leaks?

Did they not give you the union fitting in the kit?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts