Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a lot of the things done i need to start it with but when i when to go and start it i can her the starter trying to but for some reason it is not hiting the flywheel and idk why i am pretty sure that the starter is good i bought it brand new from o'reaillys i was wonding if maybe the flywheel like it is not the right size can someone tell me the what size i should have in there or i was thinking the bell housing i have a 1967 mustang 289 and C4 transmisson automatic i need help i want to see this thing running really bad

·
Registered
217 Posts
Why did you switch out the old starter? Do you still have the old starter? If so, compare the two. The gear that engages the flywheel should be the same length on each, if it is shorter, the new starter is made for manual transmissions. If so, take it back to O'riellys and ask to see one for a manual trans. I've heard that they seem to get the two mixed up often. I chose to install this one:
MINI STARTER 1.4KW V8 1965-1995 | CJ Pony Parts
Piece of cake to install, weighs less, and more clearance for my headers.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I agree with Ted. There's different starters for auto trans and manual trans. You've probably got the wrong one.

So that you'll know, the correct flywheel (Flexplate) ring gear for the C4 trans has 157 teeth.

As mentioned, I don't use the old style starter that uses wire wound magnets. They're too big, heavy and bulky when compared to a new type which has smaller permanent magnets. They're easier to install and give you much more room for the exhaust.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is a difference between a automatic flywheel and a standerd because it us to be a standerd with the inline 6 on it but it does have a automatic on it rite now so if there is a difference between the flywheel is there a way i can tell or is the bell housing different on a automatic and no when i got the car it did not have a starter on it

·
Registered
217 Posts
If there is an automatic on your car right now, I would bet that the flywheel is for an auto as well. I would bet that you got a starter for a manual trans even though you ordered one for an auto.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts