Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a '67 Mustang straight 6. The engine will turn over, but I will not get a spark. I have changed out the coil, spark plug cables, distributor cap, points and rotar, turned it over to see if the rotar spins and it does, jumped from the positive terminal on the battery to the positive terminal on the coil and turned it over, and still no spark!

Has anyone experienced this issue before, or does anyone know how I can fix it, or at least determine what the problem is?

Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to AFM! Let me move this to the Classic Tech section for you and get you some help. Thanks for joining!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will check that, but it has been my experience that if it isn't grounded, it won't turn over at all. But, it might be that the coil isn't grounded properly, so I will check the ground from the battery and the coil thanks.

If there are any other solutions, I am all ears.

Thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
Also check the connections on the solenoid. the one marked with an "I"(for ignition) should have 12V when the starter is engaged. Then check the terminal at the coil for 12V while cranking. The voltage will decrease to about 9V when the key is released from the start position because of the ballast resistor. Your coil may have failed internally. If you have a multimeter check for continuity between the + post and the center, high tension post.(key off of course). There should not be any continuity. Then check from pos to neg. Should be continuity.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Check to see if the points are shorted to ground. Disconnect the wire from the distributor to the negative side of the coil. Attach a Ohm meter from this wire to the negative side of the battery. When cranking the engine you should see the meter moving from open to short as the points open and close. If there is no change in the meter reading when cranking the engine, you have a problem.
If the points checl out OK, you could also have a bad condenser. Try changing that as well. Good luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
as just said, i had the same problem about a year ago, my condenser was grounded and that was it, i too changed everything, but a freind of mine just moved the wire, and ignition

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Make sure you hooked up the ground wire on points mounting screw and double check your point gap in addition to the things already mentioned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine did that the other week, there was a ballast resistor inline with the wire going to the ignition coil which had gone bad(resistor wasn't supposed to be there in the first place so yours probably doesn't have it) but I would check and make sure that that wire is good

1 - 9 of 9 Posts