Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im buying a 1967 v6 mustang off of my cousin for $300 it has good body and glass i want to restore and beef it up major! can anyone tell me what engines will fit(v8's) i might try for a 460 but i dont know if it would fit ect...i might get a 302 ans start there i want to make it a drag/street car...can anyone give me details on what id need to do to achieve this and get alot of power out of a reliable good engine(im only 19) so i dont know too much im still leanring and this will be my first stang ill be getting it in about a month give or take some days or a week any help and info would be great thanks alot!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just about any engine will fit. Any windsor including the 351. Clevelands should fit too. As far as big blocks, that year 'stang came with 390 cid FE motors so anything up to a 428 will go in no problem. The 429/460 family I'm not sure about they may be to wide to fit without modifications. As far as mods go I'd seriously think about doing all the suspension, body and interior stuff first and keep the motor work til last. That way the car is ready for the power you want to put into it. Make a plan and stick to it if you attack it helter skelter you'll probably never finish...Good Luck.

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do u have any suggestions on suspension and what about the body ect i think for body i might only need to replace frenders and grill and front floor boards...not too sure but can anyone help me come up with a good plan and tell me some good parts and places to find parts..ect..like i said first mustang so i dont know much and i dont know much about fords anyways mostly chevys but im into mustangs and stuff and always have liked them just havents leanred much thanks again

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:) You'll also want to swap out that integral carrier rear axle assembly with something a bit more durable. A 9inch would be plan A for me, but the 8inch assemblies are also pretty rugged.If the car still has the original steering components you'll have to swap out all of that stuff also.The 6cyl. drag link will hit the oil pan of a V8 and the idler arm, pitman arm and tie-rod ends of the 6cyl won't work with the V8 drag link.The front spindles and the upper and lower control arms are the same in 67 for the 6cyl and V8 cars so you should be ok there.You might want to replace them just for fun though, since they are probably 40 years old.The coil springs are different for the V8 cars, since the V8 motors are a bit heavier than the 6cyl.I believe that the stock FE motor, with cast iron intake, weighs about 850lbs as opposed to the 6cyl which only weighs about 400.Hope that helps.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good score for $300!!:eyepoppin

One of the FIRST things I'd do is upgrade your brakes to discs. Read up on the Granada/Monarch swap (super easy and cheap). This is like a $200 upgrade and will insure you can stop your car when you need to. DO IT!!:sterb:
As for engine, I'd do a 347 build to keep the light weight of the small block to help handling/gas milage while still getting the big inches for power!:winks
I've got a 67 Fastback and I'm doing a Shelby GT350 clone with a 347...uh, I mean, 289...yeah, it's a 289!!:D

Maniac!:kooky:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.