Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, working on my dads 67 and it has the mechanical foot pedal pump but I can’t seem to get fluid through to the windshield. It’s a recently rebuilt inside and out, but hasn’t seen much use since (~13years ago) other than summer time weekend drives.
Iv tried searching videos and forums and haven’t seen much on replacing or repairing. Could anyone point me in the right direction with a video or write up?
Some notes: when the foot pedal is pressed the internal switch activates the wipers, just no fluid. Also the dash wiper switch works. Lines appear good no leaks/cracks.
secondly, this may be a dumb question but behind the pedal is a round foot pump/switch that doesn’t seem to do anything... what is that?
thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can you follow all the lines from jug to foot pedal to nozzles? Perhaps a line is pinched or twisted somewhere along the way. Those are small inside diameter so it wouldn’t take much to close a line off. You might want to take the lines off at the foot pedal and rig up temporary lines in the car from a jar of water and into a jar and check to see if it’s sucking and blowing. LOL, I presume there is fluid in the jug!

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Ummm.. I have never seen one of those!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
secondly, this may be a dumb question but behind the pedal is a round foot pump/switch that doesn’t seem to do anything... what is that?
thanks!
Is it metal and under the parking brake pedal? If so it is the headlight High and Low beam selector.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
First thing I would do is look on line at the NPD site. npdlink.com Look up # 17664-6, bellows, about $12. Just order something from them and they will send you a free 370 page catalog. They are about the only FULL line vendor now that Mustangs Unlimited is gone. I have included some photos that might help you. I am upgrading my system on my 1968, I-6, to a newer electric pump in the plastic jug. And the foot pedal is doing what it should, but the water would help.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies and yes, I took it out the other night and accidentally found out the round foot button is the high beams lol.
hopefully this weekend I can mess with it and see what’s going on

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks for the replies and yes, I took it out the other night and accidentally found out the round foot button is the high beams lol.
hopefully this weekend I can mess with it and see what’s going on
From the 70's and older, all cars made in the USA put the headlight switch and wiper controls in the dash and the High / Low beam switch on the floor board. Then with the oil embargo in the early and late 70's gas prices increased way above the 22.9 cents/gal for full service 89 octane regular or 28.9 cents/gal for full service 95 octane ethyl. This caused a lot of people to ditch their US cars for smaller Asian and European imports that put everything on the steering wheel. US manufacturers started to copy the imports in an effort to lure car buyers back.

I prefer the old layout where the only thing around the steering wheel is the turn signal, gear shift, horn and if equipped, cruise control.

Reactions: crjackson

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I got in there today, all the lines and t’s look really good. That leaves me with a guess that the bellows or mechanical assembly isn’t pumping correctly.
I suppose I’ll have to try and take it out and see if I can get it all apart. I wish someone made a full replacement

1 - 8 of 8 Posts