Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new banging in the engine that I can't find. I have adjusted the valves 3 times and it's still there. It's at the beginning of the video and comes back at the end. It doesn't stop when plug wires are pulled one at a time and seems to happen at all rpm. Please help, any ideas.

It's a 289 with aluminum heads and roller rockers.

YouTube - ‪Mustang engine noise‬‏

·
Registered
831 Posts
Do you have hydraulic lifters? Could be a sticking lifter or one that is not pumping up fully at all times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You may be able to "feel" which lifter is the trouble by running the engine with the valve cover off and pressing down on each rocker arm one at a time and listening to see if the noise quits. Granted, it will be messy.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Wow, kinda hard to tell with that soundtrack. It does sound like a lifter at times like the other guys have said. But at other times sounds too erattic and almost like something metal to metal rubbing. Before you go make a mess with removing valve covers. Why dont you eliminate some other possibilities first. Remove your belts to eliminate accesories making noise. But dont run your engine over a minute without the water pump turning. But running it for just a couple seconds to see if noise is gone or still there will eliminate that possibility. If its still there you need to go further. But dont forget to put your belts back on. It also sounds to me like it could be starter bendix hanging and rubbing flywheel. Or if its automatic maybe torque convertor nuts backed out. Maybe rubbing dust cover on flywheel. Like the others have said though at times it does sound like valvetrain noise maybe sticking or collapsing lifter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I took off the transmission inspection plate and everything looks snug. I am going to revisit the valve train on the drivers side. I'll post after I take a better look.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I have a new banging in the engine that I can't find. I have adjusted the valves 3 times and it's still there. It's at the beginning of the video and comes back at the end. It doesn't stop when plug wires are pulled one at a time and seems to happen at all rpm. Please help, any ideas.

Hi,
I'll offer, if haven't solved it yet, to re-torque the exhaust manifolds. It is uncanny how a tiny leak there will sound like a ticking lifter. Going back a couple of years, I developed a ticking sound after having the throttle cable stick and over-revved the engine. I went so far , as to pull the intake and inspect all of the lifters. As it turned out, I had a blown exhaust manifold gasket. With running TRI-Ys, I ended up doubling the gaskets, thus, solving the problem.
A tiny exhaust manifold leak is a "classic" for mimicing a ticking lifter.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
17 Posts
noise

Hey have you tried water hose to your ear with valve cover on? Place it on valve cover and you can hear very well.Might find it that way.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hi,
I'll offer, if haven't solved it yet, to re-torque the exhaust manifolds. It is uncanny how a tiny leak there will sound like a ticking lifter. Going back a couple of years, I developed a ticking sound after having the throttle cable stick and over-revved the engine. I went so far , as to pull the intake and inspect all of the lifters. As it turned out, I had a blown exhaust manifold gasket. With running TRI-Ys, I ended up doubling the gaskets, thus, solving the problem.
A tiny exhaust manifold leak is a "classic" for mimicing a ticking lifter.
Hope this helps!
I have seen this myself but did not think to mention it as a possible cause.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Exhaust leaks generally dont come and go as this noise does. They are usually louder when engine and exhaust is cold. And they are louder under a load with acceleration. It seems this noise comes and goes. If im hearing it right. Thats why I dont think it could be exhaust leak. But always good to check everything.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Exhaust leaks generally dont come and go as this noise does. They are usually louder when engine and exhaust is cold. And they are louder under a load with acceleration. It seems this noise comes and goes. If im hearing it right. Thats why I dont think it could be exhaust leak. But always good to check everything.
Hi,
It is, in his words "and seems to happen at all rpm" as to why I suggested the exhaust leak. As I mentioned, I have experienced what he is intimating as the his experience.
So, the "noise" does not come and go. I'm not busting your chops, it's just what I garnered from his presentation and based on my personal experience with is type "noise".
Happy trails1

·
Registered
324 Posts

When he says its at beginning of vid and comes back at end and the noise I hear on vid comes and goes if we are listening to the same noise. I assume the noise goes means it goes away intermittently. and then it comes back. And happens at all RPMs I assume means when it starts making the noise it will make it no matter what RPM the engine is at. Meaning when he revs it its still there and when it idles its there. Not at all like an exhaust leak but I guess I have been wrong before, what do I know i'm just a mechanic of 25 years lol.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
When he says its at beginning of vid and comes back at end and the noise I hear on vid comes and goes if we are listening to the same noise. I assume the noise goes means it goes away intermittently. and then it comes back. And happens at all RPMs I assume means when it starts making the noise it will make it no matter what RPM the engine is at. Meaning when he revs it its still there and when it idles its there. Not at all like an exhaust leak but I guess I have been wrong before, what do I know i'm just a mechanic of 25 years lol.
Well, good for you!, Hopefully, he'll let us know.

·
Registered
324 Posts
No hopefully good for him with all our advice(bickering)back and forth lol maybe he will find it. I hope its an exhaust leak so I can say i'm wrong and quit feeling like I need to help anyone by giving bad advice!:worship

·
Registered
831 Posts
No hopefully good for him with all our advice(bickering)back and forth lol maybe he will find it. I hope its an exhaust leak so I can say i'm wrong and quit feeling like I need to help anyone by giving bad advice!:worship
I'd argue that none of this has been "bad" advice. I see it like this, if everyone thought the same, this would be one boring world. :) Spirited discussion is a learning experience and I have enjoyed watching this thread from the sideline (mainly :) ).

Thanks guys for the back and forth verbal tennis match! :shiny:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well it might be the starter. I worked on it all day and went to start it and get a click and not engine spin. Sounds like the starter engages but doesn't spin. Battery tested fine by the autoparts store. I bypassed the solenoid on the fender and get a click but no spin. I wonder if the teeth were staying out.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
My vote is roller rocker arm hitting the baffle inside the driver side valve cover, remove and inspect for wear,contact marks. Good luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so I replaced the starter. It certainly was bad but did nothing to help whatever is banging around in there. I know it sounds like a push rod but they all look tight. My friend and I agree it sounds like it's in the back and hard to tell which side. Any other thoughts before I shoot it?

‪Mustang Engine Noise #2‬‏ - YouTube

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
hanks everyone. All advise is appreciated. I broke a header bolt off today, urgh. I'll keep everyone updated.
Bud,
Sorry to hear that about that.
My advice to re-torque has to be applied in a managing way. That is, use a torque wrench. If this doesn't work then, depending on the quality of header flange, sometimes it is necessary to "double-up" on the gasket, if, in fact it's determined it is the gasket. It may not be. But, at least you will be assured it's not that problem. I've had his happen to me, so, I know from experience.
Good Luck bud.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK we may be coming to the end. So I emailed the video to the engine builder and he gave me some ideas but said it sures sounds like a lifter. Before he could come look at it I took the valve covers off and the exhaust valve on #8 cylinder wasn't squirting oil like the rest. When I push on the valve side the ticking stops.

See video.

Looks like the intake is coming off. I'll report back after I replace the lifter

‪Bad lifter?‬‏ - YouTube

1 - 20 of 26 Posts