Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe someone can help me out with this... I finished putting the new radiator in and went to re-install the fan (not a clutch fan and the it is the OEM one) and the bolt holes wouldn't line up. So I get to looking at it and the holes aren't even there anymore. They are covered and the bolts won't go anywhere as there is no longer anything to thread in to. When the engine rotates, do those holes move (so they would not line up) if the fan were not connected to them?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Ok, you're loosing me, the holes weren't there anymore? The bolts should go through the fan, then the space, then the pulley holes then thread into the waterpump snout. All 4 of those pieces have to have the holes lined up to get the bolts in, they all turn.
Jon

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the holes are blocked. I see where they go, but when I try to put them in, they won't go anywhere. What I am wondering is, are the threaded part of the hole and the hole in the pulley seperate? The pulley obviously rotates with the engine, so do I just need to keep rotating the engine until the holes align again?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe an easier way would be to ask that if one were to remove the fan and then rotate the engine, would the pulley and waterpump holes become misaligned? I believe that is what has happened. How do I get them back lined up again?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Pull the spacer off? replace it lined up, or do the same for the pully, just removed everything infront of the waterpump, and put it back in the correct order lined up correctly.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sounds like you may still have your belt on and turned engine over with fan off. And yes the pulley can spin on pump and cause the holes to be hidden. If that is the case to make it easy on yourself take the belt off. slide the pulley off and look at the water pump hub. That is the piece with the threads in it. The Fan, spacer,and pulley have to all line up and the bolts screw into the water pump hub.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do I remove the belt and pulley. I have never done that but seems like it would not be that hard.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Your alternator and power steering pump (if you have power steering) both have brackets holding them up. The bolt on the lower alternator bracket can be loosened which allows the alternator to rotate some so that you can loosen the belt. The power steering pump bracket is similar. It has two bolts in the front that can be loosened so that you can rotate it and relieve tension on the belt. Once both belts are loosed, the water pump pulley can move freely and you can align the holes with the fan and fan spacer. The only threaded holes are the ones in the snout of water pump... the fan, spacer, and pulley just have holes.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How tight do the belts need to be when I re install the belts? Do I neef to mark anything so I know what position things go in before I loosen them up. Thanks to all those who r helping out.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Both belts just need to be tight enough that when its all spinning they dont slip any. Theres nothing to really align as long as the pulleys and belts are all straight to begin with (when your looking from the side they line up). To tighten the alternator and p/s belts you can use your arm (if your pretty strong) or a break bar/crow bar/any thick rod as leverage to pull the alternator or p/s pump back hard enough so that theres a good amount of tension on the belt while you bolt them up. When the belts are back on, you should be able to press lightly on them without them moving hardly at all.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got it on but a new problem has developed. The fan (17") is about 1/4-1/2" from hitting the nut on one of my trans fittings. That is way too close. How can this be remedied? Smaller fan, different spacer. Right now it has the spacer that is physically part of the fan and the new radiator is fully seated at the bottom of the lower brackets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts