Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Pertronix Ignitor III and Flame-Thrower III just arrived today. I'm very eager to put them in and see how performance improves, but I'm stuck before I've even started! I'm assuming my car has a resistor wire. I've read conflicting things about installing with a resistor wire, and I'm not sure where it is exactly or what to do about it. Do I need to bypass it? If so, what's the best way to do that? I'm hoping I can get this installed tonight at some point. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I checked and with my existing setup, I'm getting about 6V to the coil, so I have the resistor wire. After reading through that thread, it sounds like it'd be a better idea to bypass the resistor wire for the Ignitor, which means doing a little electrical dirty work (not my forte, but doable). The Flame-Thrower should be fine with the 6V though?

Also, I do have an aftermarket tach wired to the coil, but the packaging says it should work with any 12v negative ground system, old and new, so I think I'm safe there.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I think you're good to go. Just about all modern aftermarket tachs have a sensor pickup wire to the coil, but the archaic Rally-Pac design runs the actual primary circuit through it. I would go ahead and bypass it, then, as most modern coils (your Flamethrower) do not need resisters to prevent overheating, and you may get a little more pep with the full 12v.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, sounds good, we'll see how it goes. There's really no easy way to do it, huh? I'm about to pull out the ignition switch... I hope I don't have to pull the whole cluster >.<

Thanks, Joe!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.