Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm collecting parts to install a set of '68 shock towers into my '65. I'm trying to figure out the differences in the steering linkages. I'm running manual steering and Granada spindles. I know that a lot of the '67 parts are one year only so I plan on using '68 parts. The issue is that I'm keeping my early long-shaft steering box, and I'm not sure what pitman arm and drag link I need to use. I keep reading that I need a one year only early '67 pitman arm for the 1" sector shaft, but when I try and find one it seems that the '65 to early '67 pitman arms are the same. So do I need a different pitman arm or will the '65 arm that I have now work? Are the drag links different lengths between '65 and early '67? If I remember correctly I had to shorten the Granada outer tie rods to work with the '65 suspension, could I just use all my stock '65 steering linkages and some uncut Granada tie rods to make up for the wider track width? I'd like to have everything ready to go before I tear into the car otherwise I would just figure this out as I go, thanks for any insight on this!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
You are probably going to run into some weird problems due to the width difference of the cars. Not sure where the extra inches come in, but pretty sure the engine bay is most of it. That means your '68 drag link probably won't fit right. Although you can make up for that with shorter tie rods, you will still have weird bumpsteer problems because the length from the pivot won't be correct.

Not saying this to rain on your parade, but I am burning with curiosity: Why make the changes? Is this just a "Well I have these parts..." situation, or is there some benefit you're seeking?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I think in a previous thread, he stated that he wanted to put a 390 in there, which obviously won't fit with '65 towers.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Naw, that's not what I was saying at all. I was just trying to understand, with no snark or ego involved! I am pretty sure the towers aren't the big difference between 65 and 67 though - it's the width of the engine bay, not the different towers, that allow a 390 to be put in. It's possible I am mistaken here.

If I may be so bold, a stroked 351 *will* fit up front in a '65 - and additionally, can be around 200 lbs lighter than a typical 390, with much less restrictive exhaust. Those come in combos up to around 427 cubic inches, though the 408 is probably the most reliable, common, and affordable combo if you want a stroker.

Regardless of what you decide, I would love to hear how things turn out with your project! If you find a way to get an FE between your 65's fenders without shaving the towers and going to a crummy MII setup, I want to know how you did it. I wish you all the best.

If you have any other questions, I hope I can be of help.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Naw, that's not what I was saying at all. I was just trying to understand, with no snark or ego involved! I am pretty sure the towers aren't the big difference between 65 and 67 though - it's the width of the engine bay, not the different towers, that allow a 390 to be put in. It's possible I am mistaken here.

If I may be so bold, a stroked 351 *will* fit up front in a '65 - and additionally, can be around 200 lbs lighter than a typical 390, with much less restrictive exhaust. Those come in combos up to around 427 cubic inches, though the 408 is probably the most reliable, common, and affordable combo if you want a stroker.

Regardless of what you decide, I would love to hear how things turn out with your project! If you find a way to get an FE between your 65's fenders without shaving the towers and going to a crummy MII setup, I want to know how you did it. I wish you all the best.

If you have any other questions, I hope I can be of help.

Wasn't at you :) The frame dimensions are the same from 65 to I think 70, they got the bigger engine bay by narrowing the shock towers which pushed the track width out another 2". I'm running Windsors and maybe Clevelands in the car, just going for extra header room and the cleaner look of the later towers. I've researched the swap several times over the years but keep forgetting which parts I need...

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
That's pretty epic, Mustangman, and something I didn't even know! Be sure to keep us updated as you power through this project. It's not going to help my '67 Cougar any, but knowing that it CAN be done may help someone else later, and I love to hear about stuff like this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If all you want is more room why not remove the shock towers and go with coil over. I have a 69 and for room only I would love to do that. Clearance on the drivers side is at a minimum.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Raceu2, ditching the shock towers eliminates a lot of the factory bracing that keeps your front end from becoming a floppy taco when you hammer on it in the turns, etc. Also, the Mustang II style front ends that get rid of the shock towers don't have as much travel, and have a harder time keeping tires flat to the pavement as the suspension moves because of the shorter arcs in the shorter control arms. It makes a big difference when you're on the street, and not on a nice smooth track. Oddly enough, there are a lot of good things about the shock towers, once you get things set up right.

You can of course, put in a bunch of tubular reinforcement to help stiffen up a 'towerless' front end, and basically add more complications that get in the way again, but I think it's just that Mustangman's doing his own unique thing to solve a specific problem. Pretty cool. =)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm collecting parts to install a set of '68 shock towers into my '65. I'm trying to figure out the differences in the steering linkages. I'm running manual steering and Granada spindles. I know that a lot of the '67 parts are one year only so I plan on using '68 parts. The issue is that I'm keeping my early long-shaft steering box, and I'm not sure what pitman arm and drag link I need to use. I keep reading that I need a one year only early '67 pitman arm for the 1" sector shaft, but when I try and find one it seems that the '65 to early '67 pitman arms are the same. So do I need a different pitman arm or will the '65 arm that I have now work? Are the drag links different lengths between '65 and early '67? If I remember correctly I had to shorten the Granada outer tie rods to work with the '65 suspension, could I just use all my stock '65 steering linkages and some uncut Granada tie rods to make up for the wider track width? I'd like to have everything ready to go before I tear into the car otherwise I would just figure this out as I go, thanks for any insight on this!
I bought a 64.5 power steering 260 car that was missing center link/ power steering valve, cylinder. I bought a 68 falcon 302 car for the engine, trans. it had all the steering stuff i needed. i installed it. the tapered shafts for tie rod ends etc. are different diameter than 64.5 mustang. i had to cut, weld to make custom tie rods to make it sort of work. possibly not the best solution. Im having a problem with upper controll arm alignment shims popping out. could be related?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts