Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've had the car, my heater fan hasn't worked at all, which hasnt been a problem up until the cold weather this year :sadcry:. In my ongoing effort to solve this problem, i have discovered the following:

-the blower motor itself DOES work when connected directly to power.
-the heater fan resistor has electrical continuity after some sandpapering.
-there are 12 volts of power going through the fuse that controls the fan and the fuse was recently replaced just to make sure.

A technician at my local mustang parts shop told me that the switches rarely go bad, and they stop working because the factory grease gets balled-up and blocks the connection, so i took that apart and cleaned it until spotless and tested it all again with no results. So, I'm wondering how to find out where my problem is. At this point, its either the wiring or the switch. I'm just not sure how to test them. I can take pictures or videos if necessary.

·
Registered
289 Posts
you are on the right path, i say just keep going, at this point i have nothing to ask you, you have covered the resistor, the fuse, and testing the blower to a 12v source. The switches do not go bad that often, but still that is the rule and you might have the exepction. I say double check all your wiring and if that checks out turn to replacing the switch.

·
Registered
465 Posts
i would pull out the resister and make sure none of the coils are
broken,did you ck.the resister with a test light to make sure it has power to it and through it at all the blower switch positions,high,med.,low?hope this helps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, as unlikely as it was, my problem is the switch. i tested every single wire in the bundle and they were all good, so i manually switched it (for the record, the switch switches ground NOT power) and got it to work without the switch plugged in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.