Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a 68 coupe that has me at wits end and I was hoping someone could help. I use my stang as a dailiy driver and up to a month ago I had no issues. I took 2 weeks off to go out of town and when I returned, my woes began. I was unable to get any kind of action when I went to start it untill I jumped it off with my wife's car but I chalked that up to it sitting there for those two weeks. A few days later, the same thing happened. I looked under the hood at the ignition coil and removed the wire that runs to the distibuter cap and noticed there was oil leaking out of the coil. I don't know too much about coils but I guessed that wasn't right. I re-connected the coil and the car started right up. About a week later at work, it died on me again so I ran to the parts store and replaced the coil. It started right up and ran for 2 more weeks. When I try to start my car I only hear the relay clicking. There is no other response at all from my engine so I figured my starter might be bad. I tested it at a local shop and it checks out. Even with a bad coil the starter should turn over at least right? I just don't know what would be causing this to happen. Any help would be appreciated!
:eyebulge:

·
Registered
514 Posts
if your relay is clicking...id start there...maybe it wasnt going to the off position and was drawing power?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Always check the easy things first. check battery voltage, should be 12.6V, check the battery post to clamp for corrosion or looseness, check the ground to the engine. if those are good take a test light (or a volt meter if available) and check for voltage at the starter relay (on the passenger inner fender) it should have voltage on one side all the time. check the oppisite post (the side with the cable that goes down to the starter) while a helper turns the key to start. it should have voltage when cranking. if you have no voltage there check the small post on the relay for voltage, if none there suspect faulty ignition switch, or neutral safety switch. also ignition coils are oil filled for cooling, ive never seen one leak though.? hope this helps.

G

·
Though it acts as a relay, it's actually called your starter solenoid. And that's what sounds like the problem is. The contacts may have corroded over the years on the inside. So check that, make sure when you're cranking the motor over that you're getting voltage on both side of the solenoid. If not, swap it out. Also, is your battery good? Because there may be enough power in the battery to switch the solenoid, but maybe not enough to turn the starter. Might wanna pull your battery out and take it to your local parts store to be checked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.