Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt the pedal support and I am now re-assembling everything back. I cannot put the big clutch assist spring in. This is the one inside the dash.
I pulled out the clutch pedal on the shaft to go around the stop. Now it touches the firewall and there is still not enough travel to pull the spring into the groove.
Does anyone have a good trick? I have tried rotating the support with just one bolt, but can't get it far enough.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I just did this in a 65 but should still be the same.
With the pedal support on a bench, remove the clutch pedal stop bracket and rotate the clutch pedal in the opposite direction till it stops. attach the spring and return the pedal to it's original location.
Don't try to do it in the car, it is impossible.
This video is very helpful.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Here's the catch, to do the trick in the video you must have the under dash support unit out of the car. To get it out of the car you HAVE to take the steering column down. Which means you might as well remove it.

I had this experience a few months ago on my '68 and could not get the support out with the column in place. Just too many things in the way.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I removed the pedal support with the steering column in place, then I installed it back in with both brake and clutch pedals on with steering column in place.
All I had to do was loosen the vent and remove the handbrake assembly.
It was fiddly but I got there in the end.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here's the catch, to do the trick in the video you must have the under dash support unit out of the car. To get it out of the car you HAVE to take the steering column down. Which means you might as well remove it.

I had this experience a few months ago on my '68 and could not get the support out with the column in place. Just too many things in the way.
Thanks to all of you. Tony, thanks for the video. The good thing is that I still have the steering column out. I will go back and disassemble everything I bolted out last 2 days. I will remove the master cylinder to avoid the rod interference.
Update: I followed your recommendations and pedal are in the car!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts