Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, doing a i6 to 302 swap in my 68 coupe. Im shopping for a rear end because I know the tiny little 7 and 1/4 inches would break, so I'm just looking for a list of bolt in or easily modified rear ends to use, preferably with disc breaks set up.

I know the 95-98 explorer 8.8's are popular, but I've seen a bunch of old mustang 8.8's for sale and I was wondering what years to use?

Thank you!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, I've got a 68 coupe too. There are several different rear ends available that will bolt in. There is is ubiquitous 8". They are everywhere, pretty tough but almost all came with drums, economy gears and an open diff. Disc kits are available to swap as are limited slip carriers and gears. Then there's the 9". The Lincoln Versailles in 78 -79 came with rear discs and a 9". The rear is open with 28 splines but are generally inexpensive. Companies like Currie offer complete bolt in with everything you want but they're expensive. I started with an 8". I rebuilt it, added a limited slip diff and 3.55:1 gears, rebuilt the drums breaks. It worked well but I too wanted discs. I found an inexpensive 9" from the Lincoln mentioned earlier. I sold the 8" and rebuilt the 9" with 4.11:1's and a limited slip. This rear has 28 spline axles and should be upgraded to 31 or 35 spline axles for applications over 500HP OR if your going to use slicks. These two are direct bolt in and came in the 68 Mustang. I have no experience with the 8.8's but I'm told and have read that they are inferior to both the 8" and 9" primarily due to the use of "C" clips. I hope this helps:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Hey guys, doing a i6 to 302 swap in my 68 coupe. Im shopping for a rear end because I know the tiny little 7 and 1/4 inches would break, so I'm just looking for a list of bolt in or easily modified rear ends to use, preferably with disc breaks set up.

I know the 95-98 explorer 8.8's are popular, but I've seen a bunch of old mustang 8.8's for sale and I was wondering what years to use?

Thank you!
search craigs list or swap meets for any mustang 67 - 70 8" rear end. Then convert it to disk brakes. Easier and simpler to do. I believe (but not 100%) that the 8.8 have offset pumpkins and different perches. therefore requires modifications.

Unless your 302 is putting out over 400hp+ you never tear it up. 8" are tough rearends

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both for the feedback, I'll look into the 8" because kinda on low budget, life of a college kid lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts