Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
morning folks
have a question for someone . have been trying to get c4 trans and a 302 block to line up and mesh all the way .have had motor out 3 times and tc does not seem to go back any further tc and flywheel line up nice ,but when bolting motor and bell housing the top goes fine the bottom not. just wondering if im missing something ? marked all when i pulled it out .and back the same way .any ideas
thanks

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
The torque converter has to seat fully before mating to engine. Did you rotate/push on the converter duing install? I believe it will give 3 clicks, one each time it seats further during rotation on the trans output shaft. If not fully seated you will eventually crack the bellhousing or the front pump on the trans by trying to draw it up by tightening the bolts. At worse take the trans to a local shop and have them seat the conv. for you. I know some one who had to do this AFTER breaking something.
Jon

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
If you don't seat the torque converter comletely you will ruin the pump. It will be deeper in the housing than the distance from the block to the mounting pads on the flexplate when it is right.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think all are holding the same opinion here. probably your convertor not engaged fully into pump. Thats about the only reason it would not mate up that I can think of. If you have tried to pull it together with the bell housing bolts you might as well remove the trans now and check the pump because they break easily if you put any pressure on it trying to pull it together. Be safe and look at pump if you did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts