Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 88 5.0L h.o engine that im rebuilding for my 86 mustang gt. the bottom end is completely together, new hydraulic roller cam with 530 lift i believe, balanced and polished crank, hv oil pump, etc. for the top end i have a professional products upper and lower intake for fuel injection (i know its not a great intake), 1.6 aluminum rocker arms from ford, new valve springs and retainers, but stock throttle body and MAF sensor.... but getting to the point, i dont have heads yet. i am told that heads from a 69-71 351W bolt right on and are some of the best factory heads i can get, and i can get a completely rebuilt pair right now. but i want to know if its actually going to make a decent difference over the stock heads? does anybody know? thanks

·
Registered
797 Posts
those heads were great on older 289's and 302, that was the thing to do in the '80's, I'm not sure if they are better than what's available now though...Ford has done a lot with some of the newer heads

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
Yeah, it's really old school, a good set of GT40 heads or better yet any aftermarket aluminum head would be MUCH better for your motor, the key to power is the heads, this is where you want to really stretch financially so you are not disappointed in your results...Trick Flow or AFR or Edelbrock are the big boys

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what are a set of aluminum heads worth? i know AFR is very good, which i assume means expensive, but how much for edelbrock heads?..... also, with whats done to my engine, plus some aluminum heads, do you have any idea how much power it would make roughly? or how fast it would run in a quarter mile roughly? i have no idea what to expect out of this engine. the car has stock rear end with a rebuilt t-5 and frame connectors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.