Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm converting a 66 mustang I6 with power steering to a 302. will a 69 V8 powe rsteering drag link work or does it have to be a 65-67? will the other power steering compoents work or do those have ot be replaced too?

Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my 66 I6 came with power steering. i'm eventually going to upgrade to a 302 that i bought. so keeping that upgrade in mind i decided to get a V8 SSB disk brake upgrade kit. so i'm going to put in V8 spindles, the SSB disk kit, and i guess i need the drag link etc. i found a nice 69 V8 drag link for power steering on ebay i just wanted to know if it would fit.

but to clarify a 66 V8 power steering draglink will link up right to my 66 V8 spinldes and all my 66 power steering components. right?

thanks.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:)There are no components of your 66 model 6cyl power steering that will work with the V8 except for the pump itself, the steering gear box and the steering wheel.The brackets are different, the hydraulic cylinder, valve body, drag link, idler arm, etc.... are all different and are not interchangeable.Hope that helps.:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks. that's exactly what i wanted to know.

are there any issues with converting the steering over to V8 components while the I6 is still in the car?

·
Registered
810 Posts
evren said:
thanks. that's exactly what i wanted to know.

are there any issues with converting the steering over to V8 components while the I6 is still in the car?
There are no issues

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is there an easy way to tell the difference between a 65-66 I6 draglink and a V8 one from the same year.

thanks

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
lol, the I6 stuff is puny, the V8 stuff is a lot larger... I used to work in a mustang shop and we would charge a $500 core on V8 control valves, and still did not get half of them back. Good luck finding one. It might be easier to buy a rack and pinion kit from total control

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i've seen a couple on eBay that are going for ~$250 with the ram and tie rods etc. all used of course and in need of a rebuild. i found one on craigslist around here for 140. my worry is that it's not a V8 one but an earlier post said power steering was rare on I6s so it's probably not an I6. ALso I'm worried it's off another type of car not a mustang and won't work on my mustang.

any thoughts or advice?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.