Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, underneath my Mach I coming out of the rear of the firewall is about 1" long piece of hose that has broken off. I believe it is heater hose that runs down behind my passenger side carpet but the floor is not wet. I do not know where this hose should connect to or if it should be plugged. Does anyone know or do you have a picture/diagram? Thank you. Kristal in Pensacola

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi 69 (i also have one :))
Its the drainage to the air con radiator. Its when the radiator condensate or freezes and the condensated water has to come out somewhere, so the little hose should connect to the vent system (inside the car, on the bottom, the stud might be broken off) and then led to the outside through the firewall and end up blind.

Anders, Denmark

Hi, underneath my Mach I coming out of the rear of the firewall is about 1" long piece of hose that has broken off. I believe it is heater hose that runs down behind my passenger side carpet but the floor is not wet. I do not know where this hose should connect to or if it should be plugged. Does anyone know or do you have a picture/diagram? Thank you. Kristal in Pensacola

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anders, thanks for the quick response. The problem I have is that anti-freeze is draining out of the hose. The hose looks like a drain line coming out of the bottom of the heater core case. A few people have said the same as you have but I'm not sure how the heater and and A/C are connected.
Thanks again,
Kristal

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Hello Kristal,
Anders is right, that small hose is the condensate drain line and to answer your question more directly the heater core and air condition evaporator core share the same black box under the dash on the passenger's side. I will tell you now - this is not an easy job and best left to someone with lots of experince on ford mustangs. Those heater/AC boxes are not available and almost all of them will have serious deterioration from old age so be careful who you take it to or if you repair this yourself. to do this witout breaking the box you will have to have most of the dash loose and unbolted - just so you know.
Good luck,
Joe

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Kristal. (and Joe)
If antifrezze is comming out of that hose, your heater core is leeking :-(. As joe said, its not an easy job to take out the black box but its possible. If something breaks on the job, you can use special glue used to repair plastic bumpers. I thing you can buy it in any good car repair shop. It will dry up in 5 min and you can sand it and work with it after 10 min. Anyway, you will need a loooong weekend, a new heater core (or repair it)...good luck Kristal
PS. The hoses goes from the thermostat housing and water pump to the heater core thu the firewall. The other two is for the A/C. Note you will have to "drain" the A/C fluid (only a professional can do that and you might want save the a/c fluid, its expencive and also bad for the nature..ozon layer etc..) before you can take out the box

Hello Kristal,
Anders is right, that small hose is the condensate drain line and to answer your question more directly the heater core and air condition evaporator core share the same black box under the dash on the passenger's side. I will tell you now - this is not an easy job and best left to someone with lots of experince on ford mustangs. Those heater/AC boxes are not available and almost all of them will have serious deterioration from old age so be careful who you take it to or if you repair this yourself. to do this witout breaking the box you will have to have most of the dash loose and unbolted - just so you know.
Good luck,
Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heater core

Thanks so much guys!! By the end of the evening, my husband and I had drawn the conclusion that the evaporator and the heater core were in the same box. The car was restored about 7 years ago so the box may be in pretty good shape but for now I will bypass the heater by joining the in/out heater hoses and most likely arrange for it to be repaired later since I am not comfortable with pulling out the dash. I really appreciate the details on this - the shop manuals just don't spell it out! Kristal (Pensacola, Florida)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts