Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '69 with a 200 6 cylinder in it. Prior to replacing the wiring harness, we tried starting it, the car turned over, but then stopped with smoke rising from around the battery. After replacing the harness from the firewall on up, we accidentally got it to turn over when we got the two brown wires backwards (lights and selonoid, who had that bright idea?). When I corrected the problem, it wouldn't turn over, which leads me to believe it is a problem from the ignition switch to the firewall. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
When you say wont turn over, do you mean the starter isnt turning the engine, or the engine wont fire.
assuming the starter isnt turning the engine when you hit the key, I would start with trying to bypass the solenoid and see if that gets it to turn over.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have replaced the solenoid already, so it's new. When I had the two brown wires crossed it turned over easily (which was kind of a surprise when I turned on the lights:bounce2:). When I switched them back all I get is a brake warning light when I turn the key. Leads me to believe the wiring, solenoid, etc. from the firewall forward is good, so maybe the problem is from the ignition switch to the firewall under the dash. Is there a fuse or fusible link under there anywhere that anyone knows of? That is what it is acting like.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the same problem a few months ago, I replaced my alternator, battery, solenoid, wiring, etc. Then I went to the local junkyard and couldn't find any old mustangs but luckily I found a '71 Ford F-150 with the exact same setup and i took out the ignition lock cylinder just for the heck of it. I put the lock cylinder in my car (perfect fit) and turned the key and started up no problem. The wiring on the old ignition lock cylinders burn up after a while and it's not worth trying to rewire it. Give it a try hopefully it will work for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, got back from vacation and put in a new ignition switch, and still nothing. Noticed the voltage regulator made kind of a twanging sound when I turned the key. Does that mean it's bad?

Second idea, I read another thread where an insturment panel voltage regulator was mentioned. Not sure what this is or where it is located, but wondered if anyone else knows about it.

Needless to say I'm getting a little frustrated here.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The IVR is located on back of the gauge cluster. Since you already know you had something wired wrong it could be anything now. Double check all your wiring against the diagrams is stickies at top of this forum. Possibly you have fried the solenoid, voltage reg, and alternator. The main fuse link is connected to the battery side of solenoid(big post) if that was bad you wouldn't have anything at all. Make sure batt is still charged, if there was a draw on it, could be dead from sitting. Can't translate twang, but solenoid will chatter with a weak battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts