Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These questions are for a 1969 coupe.

1. Reverse lights not working?

2. Turn signal fuse blown...replaced the fuse and it blew again...thinking its a short. Any specific places to look for this?

3. So I just got the car and took it for a night drive and the headlights are not bright at all. I know The only way to replace the original bulbs with an hid kit is to buy the H4 conversion headlights. Now if I get HIDs, what do I need to do so they don't overload the wiring harness cause I doubt it will be able to handle the extra power..

Thanks for any help, I'll post more questions if I remember any.

-Cody

·
Registered
831 Posts
Whenever a light is not working on our classics Mustangs, the first thing to check (besides checking the bulb itself) is the local ground. Once that is clean and confirmed a good ground, next check the socket. Often corrosion builds up and prevents voltage flow.

With the turn signals, it sounds like you have a short to ground. That can be tough to track down sometimes. The turnsignal switch is often the problem. Try pulling all four bulbs before you put in another fuse. One by one, replace the bulbs. If one of the bulbs causes the fuse to blow again, at least you know which is the cause and that will significantly shorten your search for the short.

With the new headlights, it is a perfect time to switch over to a relay controlled head light circuit. Your headlight switch is not designed to handle the amp loads of modern lamps. Therefore, you can wire the headlight switch to control the relays for the new lamps. This will greatly increase the life of the stock switch. Do a search on this forum about relays and headlights. I've laid out the process at least twice for other people.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts