Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled of the rear valance and found that it's not in as good of shape as I expected. There are a few dents and recesses. Would you try and fix them, replace it? Are the remanufactured ones junk?

Thanks!

·
Registered
415 Posts
That would depend on your skill and time available. But I have more fun fixing something then going out and buying it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
the rear valance on my 69 fastback was pretty bent up too. I replaced it with one from Dallas Mustang and was very pleased with it. It fit perfectly and came with new hardware, and was very easy to install. My personal opinion, i'd replace it. good luck.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just not sure exactly how I would fix it, or how much it would cost to have it fixed.

Was your replacement a thinner gauge metal?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
If it has gentle dings and dents in it I would try to tap them out. Repros seem to be hit or miss.

The rear valance on my 68 was pushed in near the passenger side back up light tilting the light too. Looks like the car was gently backed into something low. I took it off and layed it on a towel on a firm surface and used my body hammer set to gently tap the dent out and bring it close to the original shape. I have it at 90% right now only because I'm not ready to paint the car and don't want to damage the paint too bad but atleast it doesn't jump out at you when you look at the car. If I wasn't worried about the paint I'm sure I could have worked it to 95% or more then used a thin filler coat before repainting.

·
Registered
233 Posts
:wavey dne' here! I have a '67 coupe. My original rear valance was beat up pretty badly and I bought a new one with the cut outs for my exhaust. After fitting it, I noticed a couple of very mild dents above where the exhaust is to come out! omg! It's been months since I bought it and there would be no way that they would take it back. So if you do buy one, and can buy it locally, check it out thoroughly! But if you have patience, and your original(if it is really original, cause I don't know if I could tell an original from a repo!), many folk say go with your original! But if it's not a show car, and just a daily driver, what the heck! replace it! Shoot some primer on it, shoot some color and bolt it up! :gringreen :bigthumbsup
dne'

·
Registered
19 Posts
The one i got for mine was maybe a little bit lighter gauge material. i replaced mine because i'm not going for a concours restoration. nothing on it is original. but if it has just a few small dings, i'd be more inclined to tap them out with my hammer and dolly, it'll save a little money to put towards something else.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you look close you can see that mine has been slightly pushed in on one side of the license plat holder and one reverse light. One body guy told me it would easily cost $200 to fix it. I think he's full of it!

·
Registered
101 Posts
You can always try to fix it. If you can't, what fun is it. I'm sitting here waiting on my son to go to bed right now so Ii can go fiddle around with my 65. Then if your not satisfied, buy one. Good advice above though, check it out real close right when you get it. compare it to the old one, shoot it, bolt it and drive it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts