Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread I was asking questions in regards to price on a 65 Coupe w/ an inline 6.
One of the responses was to stay away from a 6 cylinder if I plan to move up to an 8 eventually. I can understand this from the cost perspective. Well this got me thinking about the 6 vs. 8 and was wondering what some opinions were on the pros and cons of each.
- Are the 8’s better engines overall?
- Does one have more parts available than the other?
- Are the any inherent problems with the 6’s that I should be aware of? (The one I am looking at is a T code)
- Are there certain 6’s and/or 8’s to stay away from?
- Any other known info that a rookie like me should be aware of as I search for the right car?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Ok, if your looking at a T code, that means your looking at a 200 CI six. Thats one of the most durable engines ever built.

They both have plenty of parts available (including performance). And parts cost about the same (if not less, you don't have to buy as many parts as a V8).

People will tell you the V8 is better, but I personally think their about even, it all depends how much you want to put into them.

Than there is the advantage of gas mileage. I get just below 30mpg with my 200 six. There is also the advantage of insurance. Six cylinders are cheaper to insure than V8s.

The only real pain in the butt problem with the six is the intake manifold (cast as part of the cylinder head).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only real pain in the butt problem with the six is the intake manifold (cast as part of the cylinder head).
Thanks for the feedback, those are some great points.

In regards to the intake manifold... what are some the issues or pains. With my limited wrenching knowledge it seems like that would limit the ability to swap out carbs.

·
Registered
831 Posts
What do you want to use the car for? As a daily driver the 6 will work fine. As a cure for Mid-Life-Crisis, you may want to go for the 8. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you want to use the car for? As a daily driver the 6 will work fine. As a cure for Mid-Life-Crisis, you may want to go for the 8. :bigthumbsup
Probably a little bit of both. :)
Not full time daily driver but enough to enjoy it. Of course it is always nice to open her up. There is no denying the value of an 8 when it comes to power.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The 200 has plenty of torque, and with seven main bearings, is nearly indestructible. Dual headers (and dual exhaust) will help with power and mileage, and a T5 5-speed takes better advantage of the engine's power better than any of the original transmissions.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Cubic inches is the easiest way to go for more torque and hp, 200 cid versus 289, I think you will see a big difference. See if you can drive one of each sometime. I know the I6 guys probably won't like this post, sorry. If I remember some of the problems with the I6, the carb for one, and the outer cylinders run leaner than the center ones due to the central placement of the carb, and the problems with vapor lock since the intake sits right over the exhaust manifold. They do get better gas mileage. To convert and I6 to a V8 requires a lot of part changes, brakes, radiator, engine, differential, front springs, etc. Either google or yahoo that or check out some of the mustang sites that have done that in their tech or how to articles. Good Luck.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Pro V8 owns V6 :gringreen

haha, just kidding, i have a V8 and i dont ride the car every day, so gas mileage is not a big deal for me because i like to make it run a little bit every time i ride it and i've always see mustangs like muscle cars, in the other hand if you want to have a car that looks nice rides fine and gives you a great MPG and you don't have the need for speed i guess the V6 is a goos option for you :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Only ford engines i wouldn't own are the 351m and 400m but both are found mostly in trucks and big cars like a ltd.A inline 6 car coupe is one of the most common mustangs made and also less book value because of that too.I had a 300 inline 6 in a f150 that wouldn't die i used it as a truck hauling and towing it took a beating and ran fine.

·
Registered
329 Posts
an original v8 car has more pros on the long run (here are a few I can think of)

Lets start with the thing that not all of us care about cause we put so much money in these cars, resale value, a v8 might cost you slightly more but they are more desirable so should sell faster, and will maintain there value.

If your v8 engine ever goes bust, you have more choice in upgrading just you engine, were as in the I6 you need to change the engine suspension etc...

Adding Factory style disc brakes is much easier on a v8 (actually I6 never came with discs, please correct me if Im wrong)

V8 has better aftermarket selection for 5 bolt wheels than the 4 on the I6

More parts are available for the v8s

but if you get and I6 that's is in good condition should be a good car (I wouldn't know though never owned an I6) I would only buy an I6 vert or fastback if i really had to.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Adding Factory style disc brakes is much easier on a v8 (actually I6 never came with discs, please correct me if Im wrong)
Adding "factory" discs to a 64-70 6 cylinder is not possible, but it is possible to add discs to the 4-bolt car. See photo. Bolts on in a few hours with common parts, except for the custom brackets.

Yeah no inline 6 mustang 64-73 had disc all was drums.And the drums 64-69 was smaller then the v8 ones also.
Not entirely accurate. While 64-70 6 cylinder cars had 9" drum brakes (power boost was the only optional upgrade) power disc brakes were a factory option on 71-73 6 cylinder cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have two 200I6's in the garage. My son's bone stock 66 Coupe and my modified Bronco. Serious upgrades for the six are serious money. They are tough engines and with a header and right exhaust can sound close enough to a V8 that you have to look under the hood to tell. You can drive them without taking out a bank loan to keep gas in it. They can be mildly modified reasonably cheap and would highly advise buying the Ford Falcon Performance Hand Book. Rust is more costly than any engine mods you do.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Only ford engines i wouldn't own are the 351m and 400m but both are found mostly in trucks and big cars like a ltd.A inline 6 car coupe is one of the most common mustangs made and also less book value because of that too.I had a 300 inline 6 in a f150 that wouldn't die i used it as a truck hauling and towing it took a beating and ran fine.
I can vouch for the toughness of the 300 inline 6. I learned to drive on one, so it survived a 16 year old. Then, many years later, a towing "oversight" led to the truck being towed at 55mph in FIRST gear! It had a four speed with a very short first gear so I am guessing it was spinning at somewhere near 9000 rpm. There was so much heat generated from the internal friction that it overheated and burst the upper radiator hose. So it was the steam billowing down the highway that gave us the hint that something was wrong.

After placing the trans in neutral and removing the box that shifted on the seat and forced the trans into gear, the journey continued. Once at the destination, the oil was changed, and the hose replaced. I was hoping the motor was toast so I could use that as an excuse to replace it with a V-8. No such luck. It started right up and ran fine for another 15 years.

One note: The only oil used in the motor since initial break-in was Mobil One synthetic. The oil was changed once a year. I don't know how much of a role that oil played in the longevity of that motor, but it must have had some.

Sorry for hijacking this thread with my story, but I love telling that one. Especially after hearing the "Found On Road Dead" remark.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great feedback everyone, looks like it really comes down to personnel preference. I definitely understand the challenges/limitation of each a bit better. The search continues… Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts