Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was 16 I bought a 1984 mercury capri that had been hacked and mangled into an RS with a 5.0 AOD and what I thought was an 8.8 LS rear end. When I bought a rebuid kit on ebay I had problems beacuse there were no clutches in the rear end and it has 5 spings instead of one S-shaped spring. Has anyone ever heard of something like this I'm not sure its factory, oh and by the way its a 7.5 not an 8.8. How do I get rid of my one tire fire on the track? I'm trying not to replace the rear end, but if that's the only I guess any help? Thanks guys and gals.

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
if it has no clutches your either locked in or locked out.

buy a new T loc ( $220)

or i havent seen a 7.5 rebuild kit.

my guess is with no clutches your going tranny to wheels with 0 slip at all.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
The rear you are referring to is an Auburn diff. I am selling my Ford Racing Tru Trac diff. (like new and pulls posi everytime.) Im upgrading to 31 spline axles and cant use this diff anymore. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
You weren't really clear if that '84 Capri originally was an RS and also origianlly had a 5.0L or if one or both were swapped in, but all '82+ 5.0L Mustangs and Capris had a limited slip (Traction-Lok) differential (LSD) as mandatory/standard equipment The factory 7.5" LSD through '84 was indeed an Auburn unit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks i appreciate the info. I am not sure what the car started out as I no longer have this car to look at the door plate either. I am getting ready to put this rear end in my 86 capri GL (was a v6 c-5 combo, now 5.0 TBI AOD from my 84)and found out it was a 7.5 LSD. Do you have any idea if there is a rebuild kit for this if so how much(or where i can find out if there is one)? Or is it gonna be cheaper to replace it with a 8.8?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
You can use the 8.8 diff in a 7.5. Let me know if your interested in the one Im selling. But you can also rebuild that auburn unit. Not sure if you can upgrade it or not.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
YOUR RIGHT! I forgot you have to swap the whole housing and all....

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
That Auburn diff is a good one but that 7.5 rear is more for a v-6 and now they just use 8.8 for all. I would get ya an 8.8 from a 88 t bird coupe w/ disc brakes. If you are planning on changing wheels then get one from a 95 w/ disc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much are talking about? I found a rear end in pull-a-part for $100 out of a Mark 7 that has discs on it didnt know if that was a good deal.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
What year is the Mark VII? Chances are it's an 8.8. But if it has springs rather than clutches, it's a cone type differential. (Auburn like they said)

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
SOunds resonable but not sure what gears are in a mark V11, and it would be 3/4" longer on each side. Will work depending on your intensions!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.