1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
217 Posts
The 8.8 is much stronger so if you plan on drag racing with stickes that for sure is the way to go. Unless you plan on going FI the only draw back would be the 3:55 ratio if you want better acceleration. If not the 3:55 will gain you a very small amount over your stock 3:31 7.5 for acceleration but a lot more strength. Installation is an easy DIY job IMO. If you take it to a shop it should not be more than a two hour job or less. The shop charge to put the T-Loc in will be far more then just putting the entree 8.8 in. Also the 7.5 T-Loc is nothing to write home about and will be exspensive to rebuild down the road when the clutches fail. And they will!

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
if money is not a issue, go with the 8.8. but i wouldnt bother going to the 3.55, you wont even notice it. also unless you can pick that rear end up yourself, plan on a couple hundred for shipping. it would be a fairly easy install if you work on cars, otherwise plan on another couple hundred for install.

i put the t lok and 3.73 gears in mine, cost was $400+ gear oil. when i did mine i didnt have the extra $800, and i guess lucky that i could do it myself. some day though, i will upgrade it to the 8.8. in the meantime, ive tortured this 7.5 and i would have to say its alot tuffer that some people think :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
I agree the 7.5 is alot tougher than ppl say, I have 4.10's in mine & 295/45-18 nitto nt05's and it pulls off the line pretty darn good for a sixer

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Gear & t-lok intallation should be $250-300

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
Gear & t-lok intallation should be $250-300
so for having the job done for you, thats about right+ the parts. so say $700 to set up the 7.5. no matter how you cut it, its still 5-$700 less than going with the 8.8 w/ 3.73 or 4.10 gears. ive seen it said alot of times on here, but its misleading for people to say its about the same price cause its not.

not to say you cant run into some deals out there, or if you can avoid the shipping ect. no argument that the 8.8 would be tougher if your going hole hog race with your V6 :)

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
on a side note, if you just wanted the t lok, and stay with the 3.31 gear, i would think you could get that installed for about $100+ the t lok. you would also need 2 carrier bearings, cover gasket and new gear oil. but i would think you could have just the limited slip done for you for under $400 total. if you can wrench, you could do it for about $300.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
on a side note, if you just wanted the t lok, and stay with the 3.31 gear, i would think you could get that installed for about $100+ the t lok. you would also need 2 carrier bearings, cover gasket and new gear oil. but i would think you could have just the limited slip done for you for under $400 total. if you can wrench, you could do it for about $300.
you put yours gears in yourself?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have an 06 auto and I was lookin on AM and saw this the 7.5 T-LOK for 194.99 Ford Racing 7.5" 28 Spline Traction - LOK Mustang Limited Slip Differential at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!but then i saw an 8.8 Rear Axle Assembly on NTO for 799.99 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 8.8 Rear Axle Assembly 3.55:1 Ratio w ABS w Trac-Loc | NewTakeOff.com
which one would you all recommend to get? Any ideas on how much for installation on each?
if interested on the 7.5 build, check out this deal

3.73 rear end gears - eBay (item 110705940503 end time Jul-01-11 20:35:16 PDT)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Once again, if you do this yourself, you better know what your doing. This is not a bolt in upgrade. You have to shim the ring gear to specs and properly tighen the crush ring on the pinion gear. Back in the day I helped friends who raced with ford 9" rearends. They had specific tools to measure gear play and gear meshing pattern. They also had a used crush ring that they reamed out so it would slip over the pinion so measureemtns could be made without going through a stack of crush rings.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Once again, if you do this yourself, you better know what your doing. This is not a bolt in upgrade. You have to shim the ring gear to specs and properly tighen the crush ring on the pinion gear. Back in the day I helped friends who raced with ford 9" rearends. They had specific tools to measure gear play and gear meshing pattern. They also had a used crush ring that they reamed out so it would slip over the pinion so measureemtns could be made without going through a stack of crush rings.
yea i dont know what im doing, i was trying to find a guide then maybe i could do it myself but i couldnt find one, i guess i better start looking for a shop because i dont want to mess up my rear end

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
yea i dont know what im doing, i was trying to find a guide then maybe i could do it myself but i couldnt find one, i guess i better start looking for a shop because i dont want to mess up my rear end
this is not something most people should even mess with. ive got the press and the tools ect, quite a bit of experience, but even then was taking my chances, and would have to say i got lucky too. heres a guide if you really want to see some of whats involved, but i would take it to a shop.
Differential Repair & Installation Instructions

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So if i got the 8.8 would i be able to install that myself? Would it be easier than just changing out the gears?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Unless you know someone who can do it for you, your going to have to pay to get the 7.5 gears and LS installed.

If you grab an 8.8 with the Cobra pinion on it already (from NTO etc) you can install it yourself. It took 2 of us about 3 hours to swap out the 7.5 for the 8.8 using Jack stands and a floor jack. You will want a 2nd body to help push around the 8.8 as your getting it up into place.

~Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts