Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i was talking to a bud of mine today (not to long ago) and he's gonna sell me his rear end on his gt 2000. 8.8 swar bar, arms etc etc...
He selling it to me for 200 bucks but it has 110k miles on it. He ran into a pole and total his engine or something like that. He lives in ny and im going there 3 days from now so i'll be picking it up when im there. Back to the point, which is. How long do these ends last and is this a good deal plus i really would like to do this swap by myself at home in my garage. What will i need tool wise ? thats all. help me :gringreen

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Killer deal, should still have lots of life let in it and all I would do is pull the cover to inspect and change the fluid.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Socket set, brakeline wrench, spring compressor, jack, jackstands(2). Depending on the miles on your car, you may want to replace the bushings and shocks while you've got it apart. Don't forget to check the condition of the pads on the 8.8.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hm i dont have a spring compressor... should have thought of that lol. Might be able to borrow one tho. thanks for the heads up :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
What it the world would you need a spring compressor for? Most definitely not needed for this job.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
You need:

12mm-12 point socket or wrench, 13mm wrench, 15mm socket, 18mm socket, impact wrench,(not needed, but handy) 18mm wrench, 15mm wrench, jackstands, and floor jack.

1. Jack up car, put on stands along the rails.
2. Remove tires, brake calipers and caliper brackets. No need to open the system. Just leave them dangling for now because you have to slide the rear end from side to side to get the lines out from over and under the axle tubes.
3. Remove driveshaft. 12mm-12point socket.
4. Brace rear end with floor jack, and remove lower shock bolts.
5. Remove upper control arm bolts from rear.
6. Remove lower control arm nuts from rear. The bolts will stay in for now because you have to raise and lower the jack to wiggle out the bolts.
7. Remove springs-gently.
8. Raise and lower rear end to get out lower bolts. It has to be angled just right in order for them to come out easily.
9. Slide out rear and install the same way in reverse.

Once you get the LCA bolts in on the new rear, install springs and raise jack to align with your UCA's. Remember to install brake lines around rear end before installing the LCA bolts!!!!!!! Been there, done that once, but there was alcohol involved.:headscratch:

Good luck. About a 2 hour job or so if you have done them alot......

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank god i dont need a spring com, i was wondering what i would need it for lol. A thanks shiner- it might take me 8 10 hours tho ... knowing my speed of work...:scratchchin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.