Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
I had a similar run in with a Maricopa County Sheriff off of Carefree Highway. I way doing 157mph in a 55mph zone. I was blatantly speeding, not one of those "Ï had no idea I was going that fast" situations.

To my good fortune he did not have me on radar, he just chased after me and I pulled over right away.

He wrote me a ticket for "Exhibition of Speed", and for 67mph in a 55 zone. The Exhibition of Speed is a violation that you NEVER want on your record. It's roughly 2 years without a license, and some minor jail time. I went and fought it with the states attorney who was prosecuting me. I ended up paying $485.00 for the 12mph over, and got the criminal charges dropped. It was a bad experience, but totally my fault.

I don't think it would be wise to fight it, because I think you run the risk of getting additional charges if you are ultimately found guilty. Pay the ticket and learn whatever lesson you need to teach yourself. Getting caught sucks for sure, but a speeding ticket is not the end of the world.

GLAD TO SEE ANOTHER PHOENIX MEMBER ON HERE! WELCOME!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I remember my first speeding ticket. 85 in a 45. Ended up paying 400+ for the ticket and course to keep it off my record. That was in Florida, Tennessee is much less lenient.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had a similar run in with a Maricopa County Sheriff off of Carefree Highway. I way doing 157mph in a 55mph zone. I was blatantly speeding, not one of those "Ï had no idea I was going that fast" situations.

<snip>
Clearly the deputy was envious and just wanted to see if he could catch you. :p

Next time, tell him, "Deputy, that was not an exhibition of speed. That was a demonstration of you being owned." :p I'll send my phone number for bail via a PM. :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Clearly the deputy was envious and just wanted to see if he could catch you. :p

Next time, tell him, "Deputy, that was not an exhibition of speed. That was a demonstration of you being owned." :p I'll send my phone number for bail via a PM. :)
I don't think he would have caught me, but I wasn't wanting to make the evening news on that one. I don't want to be "That guy"

We had a guy here in Phoenix that got arrested for doing 217mph in a 65mph zone with his Lambo LP640. They didn't "catch" him, they had to research who the heck it was....sadly there were only 3 of them registered in Phoenix so it didn't take long to narrow down who it was. Apparently he was trying to prove to people online that it could go faster than the 213mph the magazines said it was rated for or whatever.

·
Registered
173 Posts
HA HA HA HA... that's AWESOME but definitely not something you could convict a guy on. A) how could they positively ID that it was a LP640 at that speed vice just a "regular" Lambo. Second, once the officer loses sight of the car there's always the "there was another one" defense. And it DOES work.

Did he scan the ticket and post it on the 'net?

Wasn't there a guy in Minnesota that got a ticket on a motorcycle for going 205 MPH... even though the bike couldn't possibly go that fast?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Go to court and see the judge. you can ask them what the maximum "punishment" is. after you know what that is ask for a delay or extension (you don't have to tell them guilty or not guilty) make a decision if you want to fight the ticket or not and get information. I delayed a ticket 3 times once and eventually the judge reduced my fine from $350 to $100.

·
Registered
901 Posts
How do you get a ticket at 242mph? That's borderline helicopter speed... But even so it takes 8 minutes or so for a helicopter to get out there. Even at 157mph I don't see how they could catch you. If you fly by a cop doing 157mph it would probably take them a minute just to get up to 140mph. By that time you should be long gone..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Always fight speeding tickets. I paid a lawyer $50 to go to court for me. He got the offense reduced to some sort of parking violation. It then cost me an extra $100 on the violation but then it did not show on my driving record. The insurance savings more than made up for the extra $150 bucks.

All they want is the money. Speeding tickets are a targeted tax. They don't save lives and they don't make the road safer. If they wanted to do that they would pull people over who tailgate or change lanes without using a blinker or get old people off the road or people who drive slow in the fast lane talking on a cell phone (inattentive driving btw) or a million other things that are illegal to do that would make a difference but are much harder to enforce.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Always fight speeding tickets. I paid a lawyer $50 to go to court for me. He got the offense reduced to some sort of parking violation. It then cost me an extra $100 on the violation but then it did not show on my driving record. The insurance savings more than made up for the extra $150 bucks.

All they want is the money. Speeding tickets are a targeted tax. They don't save lives and they don't make the road safer. If they wanted to do that they would pull people over who tailgate or change lanes without using a blinker or get old people off the road or people who drive slow in the fast lane talking on a cell phone (inattentive driving btw) or a million other things that are illegal to do that would make a difference but are much harder to enforce.
I would like to go the lawyer route but around here you need to pay money just to talk to a lawyer as far as I know. How did you find a lawyer you could talk to about it before even paying?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would like to go the lawyer route but around here you need to pay money just to talk to a lawyer as far as I know. How did you find a lawyer you could talk to about it before even paying?
I just looked up a traffic lawyer. He might have come recommended, I don't really remember. Try the phone book or THE GOOGLE?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do you own the "2011 Premium Package V6 - Black on Black, Mustang Club of America Pkg, Comfort Pkg -- "Eva" :smirk" ?

If the answer is yes to that question, how on earth could you not afford the $371 ticket?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Do you own the "2011 Premium Package V6 - Black on Black, Mustang Club of America Pkg, Comfort Pkg -- "Eva" :smirk" ?

If the answer is yes to that question, how on earth could you not afford the $371 ticket?
2 words... Minimum Wage.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nathan,

My father got a ticket in Gilbert with LIDAR from a motor cycle cop.

He won in court on a technicality. The cops are supposed to test their gun out between 2 signs that are setup and measured with a steel measuring tape (for calibration and testing). Gilbert did not have such a range and he won the case based on that.

Now I got a speeding ticket a while back from Gilbert and the cop was using a Radar gun. I grilled him for about 2 hrs. Turns out we found records on the radar gun by subpoenaing them and the gun had an intermittent problem that was not corrected. We even subpoenaed the repair guy to show up in court and he said he did not correct the "intermittent" problem. The judge ended up sending a letter to me 1-2 weeks later saying that the "police officers visual estimate of my speed was good enough" even without the radar gun.

I'd say do driving school if you're eligible. If not, subpoena the hell out of their records and ask for all records of the LIDAR gun, the manual of the LIDAR gun. I wouldn't ask them about the testing range because that's what my dad won on, if you tell them ahead of time, they might be able to set one up real quick on their premises before the court date.

If you're interested in fighting it, PM me and I'll see if I can find any of the documentation from his case. Or his case #, which you could probably go to the court of Gilbert and request the case notes which should be public record and case law now.

Ultimately it's going to come down to the judge, and if they're neutral or not. If they're biased towards the cops point of view, you probably don't stand a chance. It took my dad about a month to familiarize himself with the LIDAR manual for the gun the cop was using, which you'd have to find out by subpoena. It can take you quite a bit of time to build up a case. When my dad and I got our tickets 2 weeks apart, that's when we decided to fight our cases. We got 2 different judges, his seemed to be more neutral though and didn't take sides, whereas my judge was blatantly biased.

Also, no lawyers would talk to us regarding a speeding ticket. They seemed to be more interesting in protecting drunks and injury accidents than us, because there's more $$$ in it for them.

But yes, you got lucky that they didn't write it up as Criminal Speeding :worship

You now have to figure out if it's worth the time and hassle of going to court and missing work if it falls on a workday. I hate being caught up in the judicial system and it will just make you have a negative view of the courts and cops. It might not be worth the stress, but if you can convince the judge that the fine is a little high for what you make, they might be able to work out a deal or payment plan..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Nathan,

My father got a ticket in Gilbert with LIDAR from a motor cycle cop.

<snip>
Thanks for the info man. The court date is actually on the 7th of July, so right around the corner. I don't really want to piss the judge off and have him switch it to criminal and suspend my license which I have been told can happen.

It just decided to show up in their system finally and according to Mesa e-court I can put in for a Continuance of Appearance on the 3 following dates:

Appearance Options (select one)
07/20/2010 &nbsp10:00
07/27/2010 &nbsp10:00
08/05/2010 &nbsp10:00

Amount Due
07/06/2010 $ 337.00
Current Balance
06/21/2010 $ 337.00

How much over was your ticket for? Also how much additional did you have to pay in your case after the State won for court costs?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Dude just pay it. In the long run itll be more. Trust me! 109mph in a 60 zone :(. First time you go to court is just your plea. then if you enter a "not guilty" then you get a court date and then the police officer is summoned to court. O BTW if you are found guilty, you have to pay all those court fines even if he does lower it. so just pay it and take it as a learning lesson.

·
Registered
42 Posts
How did you afford the car if you only make minimum wage?!?!
If he works full time and lives at home with mom and dad, it's easily affordable on minimum wage. He probably uses half of his income on the car payment and his insurance might not be as cheap, but if he doesn't carry any or a lot of bills it can be done.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.