Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once upon a time, I'm getting really frustrated. Where are all those people who want to buy my car right now? When it's a good thing they're not around?
Okay. I have a 71 Mustang with a c4 transmission and a 1990 302. Its been running great. A few months ago, my starter broke off. Saved by the tranny lines and the cable. The bottom bolt was missing, ant the top bolt was still intact, holding on to the broken piece of starter flange. I put the starter back in place by fitting it with the broken piece on top and putting a new bolt in the bottom. It lasted for a few months until the bendix (?) went out. So the other day, I get a new starter. After a week of starting just fine, it started locking up my engine. I would have to loosten up the starter and turn the engine by hand before it would turn over. That starter burned up. It wouldnt turn. So last night I replaced it with a starter that started up just fine, but it sounded like it was dragging against the pressure plate when it ran. So i shut off the car and cussed. That didnt work. Today i made a couple paper shims and drove my car back up there and got starter number three. Changed it in the parking lot. Started up just fine. Ran a couple errands and now the starter is back to locking up my engine.
The starter with the broken flange was on my old 302 and worked with the new engine and flywheel.
I dont comprenday whats going on with this.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for the reply. The flywheel is only a year old, but that doesnt mean anything. I called up the auto place since i posted this and they gave me a starter for a 1990 302. Very cool. Much smaller. Bolted it up, turned the key, vroom. Started right up. Broke the effing starter though. I could hear it crack. Havent looked at it or tried starting it since i got home, but I heard the damn thing break. Hopefully it was the starter that broke.
But if it takes a couple revolutions to start, you cant hear any abnormalities in the sound it makes (like i would imagine a faulty flywheel might be evident in the sound of the starter?).

·
Registered
500 Posts
If that starter did break again,,you should first make sure you have the right flywheel starter combination,,,you said the flywheel is only a year old, are you sure you have the right flywheel? next I would check the starter mount,,,is there a washer or lock washer stuck there causing the starter to be cocked?,,next check the flywheel out,,tooth by tooth,,,check to see if the flywheel is warped or not,,if all looks good,,I would take it apart take the fly wheel off and inspect it closely,,maybe even install a new one,,,again,,make sure you have the right flywheel starter combo...good luck,,,

·
Registered
995 Posts
suggestion

Do what seph10 said;

Then make sure the alignment of the starter is correct. It is binding some where and needs to be put on straight so it will not bind..

Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts