Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure some have experienced this, and hopefully have a good answer...

On my '73, I've bot a new, aftermarket single DIN head unit. And of course, it comes with the sleeve. Anyway, all of the console is off at this time (working on some new gauges, too), and where the head unit is designed to rest, there's a semi-flat horizontal metal surface. But this big open space is about 4 inches wider than today's head units. (Much taller, too).

So the ques is simply, what does one do with the extra two inches on either side of the HU? That is, how do you keep the head unit in place? From sliding all around?

I don't see any special mounting kits available for a '73. Do you merely JBWeld, or otherwise attach the HU sleeve to the car in this big ol' gaping hole (hoping u center it juuuust right)? Then slide the head unit in once the console is back in place. And remove, if ever necessary, w/ those handy little tools on each side? Is that it?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, well, it appears the Audio section of AFM isn't nearly as active as the wrench turning area. So, if this helps anyone in the future, what I'm doing is cutting a piece of 3/4" MDF (since I have a whole sheet w/ no other use), and a thinner piece, the 8 1/2" or so wide and 5-6" deep that I'll fix to the dash where the HU goes. Turns out the repro center console plastic part that "contains" both the DIN cutout and the a/c, heating controls cut out, has that DIN opening about this much thickness above the horizontal metal surface that's part of the car's dash assembly.

So screw down the MDF (actually, screw up, but not screwup) to this part of the dash assembly. Then need to affix the sleeve down to the top of this MDF base. Still have some 3M double-sided automotive tape - amazingly sticky, strong stuff - from another project years ago. May use some of that, and perhaps a couple of small "L's" from the hardware store on either side of the sleeve. That should secure it to the MDF rather well.

If you're a total nube, make sure you set this up w/ the sleeve oriented the correct way. Wrong way is when the HU freely slides in and out, wheeee. Right way is when it slides up all the way to the HU face plate, then clicks in place and is stuck. (Make sure you know where your little flimsy "unstuck tools" are that should have come w/ the HU, so you can remove the sleeve and keep working on the install. You could use small screwdrivers while it's still on the bench, but once in the dash, you'll need these if u ever want to remove the HU for any reason.)

In another post elsewhere (a Toyota site - egads!:gringreen) I saw a poster w/ an interesting idea. He fixes a steel braided cable to the rear of the HU. Then, once in place, pulls out the slack, and attaches it out of sight creatively to somewhere behind the glove box, or steering column side, or both. If a thief trys to remove the HU, the cables will keep it in place. Not certain what the ramifications would be if the thief had alot of time on his hands, but it's an interesting idea, anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts