Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, its getting time to do the brakes on the car, and I've been considering swapping to the 73mm SVO/Lincoln calipers, (along w/ slotted rotors, and SS lines, and possibly performance pads) and someone who's opinion I've learned to trust told me that going with a bigger caliper on a stock size disk doesent really improve the braking noticibly, and can actually make the car lock up easier [more force on a smaller area?].
But, I always like second (or third) opinions.
Anybody got em? How do they work? (I realize that I'll see a difference going to steel lines anyway, and maybe a little with the rotors, but does the caliper swap really make much of a difference in its own right?

Thanks
J

·
Registered
73 Posts
I installed the SVO calipers and and slotted rotors about two years ago. I also installed the master from the SVO/Lincoln. I remember that I had to lengthen my rod that runs from the pedal and that you want to get calipers with steel cups instead of the phenolic ones. It is also good to install steel guides in place of the rubber ones (part the mounting bolts go through). I have not done this yet, but know they are available from Steeda. I have had no problem with my setup and feel it stops a little better than the 87 - up calipers and light years better than the stock setup on my 85! I have yet to take it out on the track to really test it!

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I did a writeup about the metal sleeves Maximum motor sports makes (i think thats who you meant otherstang).

It's located here
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/2343.shtml

Pictured in the article is drilled / slotted rotors and 73mm calipers from a 90' Lincoln Mark 7. I went cheap and got the phenolic piston calipers.

My brakes did improve with the calipers, slotted rotors, and brake calipers sleeves.

You need to replace your brake pads when you swap. Get ones for a 90' Mark VII

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
This was discussed on several Forums already and if I am not mistaken someone from Maximum Motorsports chimed in and explained the physics of your car stopping over a "longer" distance with those 73mm Calipers.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I meant to add the sleeves to the list too, *Smack*"bad Beer! Bad!LOL.

Shaker, do you know which thread that was, I must've missed it.
Thanks
J

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
thanks for the site otherstang! good info, marked it on my favorites page

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
BadlandsGhost said:
Actually I meant to add the sleeves to the list too, *Smack*"bad Beer! Bad!LOL.

Shaker, do you know which thread that was, I must've missed it.
Thanks
J
It was either on Stangnet or the Corral. There were actually more than one Company that chimed in on the physics part behind it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yup yup, that was one of the pages I checked out when I started thinking about it, good stuff :cool:

shakerhood said:
It was either on Stangnet or the Corral. There were actually more than one Company that chimed in on the physics part behind it.

Oh, gotcha, I thought you meant a thread here. Pretty much the only forums I go to anymore are here, MW and RHC. I'll see if i can find it.

Thanks
J

G

·
I researched this a number years back and have since installed the 73mm calipers on two of my foxbody mustangs, along with the rear disc package. They work great and there is definately a noticable improvement in braking. I found it to be an excellent upgrade for street driven stangs and from my experience, definately recommend it.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
ScottHalliday said:
I researched this a number years back and have since installed the 73mm calipers on two of my foxbody mustangs, along with the rear disc package. They work great and there is definately a noticable improvement in braking. I found it to be an excellent upgrade for street driven stangs and from my experience, definately recommend it.
With the addition of rear discs it would be an improvement. The articles in question just had the 73 mm Calipers going on up front with no changes to the rear, thus creating longer stopping distances.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.