Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for motor mounts, oil pan, and exhaust manifolds for a 302 cobra ii that my 13 year old son and i are building for his first car.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1967 Mercury Cougar XR7
2,851 Posts
Awesome car! Motor mounts should be readily available from your local parts store. Pan, I'm not so sure about. Pretty sure it's not front sump, with the rack and pinion setup, but I have never actually tried to find a pan for a Mustang II. And manifolds? Well, most of the factory log manifolds will work fine. Due to the tight space, you're a bit limited. If you found a set of used Shelby "K" code 289 headers, or early 351W cast iron manifolds, those would work even better. Clearance, as you know, is pretty tight!

Cool project, and best wishes!!

·
Super Moderator
4,496 Posts
Welcome J and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
Do you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! Great news tho! Found a set of mounts and manifolds and will be picking up this weekend! Down to 1 hard to find item left! Just the oil pan! Car is stripped down with only the dash to come out and was all done buy my 13 year old son. He stripped the hood, fenders, and doors down to bare metal and sprayed them with epoxy primer. Hopefully this weekend , he'll start stripping the body. Will post more pics as work continues

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Motor mounts should be readily available from your local parts store. Pan, I'm not so sure about. Pretty sure it's not front sump, with the rack and pinion setup, but I have never actually tried to find a pan for a Mustang II. And manifolds? Well, most of the factory log manifolds will work fine. Due to the tight space, you're a bit limited. If you found a set of used Shelby "K" code 289 headers, or early 351W cast iron manifolds, those would work even better. Clearance, as you know, is pretty tight!
Not for the Mustang II they aren't. Those aren't reproduced and as far as I know never have been. Motor mounts and oil pan are very specific to the Mustang II since Ford crammed the 302 in there after the car was already engineered without a v8 available. Motor mounts and oil pan will have to be sourced used unless you can find some NOS ones. I believe the earlier 1975 motor mounts have smaller bolt holes than the later 1976-78 ones. No big deal though since you can simply drill the holes bigger to accommodate the larger bolts.
The air cleaner will need to be a very low profile one and only use a very low intake manifold or you will have to cut the hood for clearance.
Exhaust manifolds as I recall are also specific to the Mustang II but people do cram headers in there so it can be done with the right set of headers. As I understand they barely fit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very correct! Motor mounts, exhaust manifolds and oil pan is very specific to only mustang ii's. Gonna cost me $350 for the used motor mounts and manifolds i found that im picking up this weekend. Found a used oil pan for $150 so hopefully I'll have all my hard to find parts soon! As far as hood clearance, i plan on getting the fiberglass ram air hood from Mustangs unlimited and also some tucked bumpers to clean the look up a little bit.. trying to talk the boy into the monroe handler body kit but idk if he'll go for it

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
The fiberglass hood will likely need a fair amount of work to get it aligned with the rest of the body panels.
That body kit you mentioned definitely isn't for everyone, me included. I've always thought that it's pretty ugly imo but to each their own.
Was this Cobra II originally a 302 car? Strangely, they came standard with the 2.8L v6 and the v8 was an option. I ask because I'm wondering if the car is being converted to a 302 from a v6 or if this Cobra II was originally a v8 and now just devoid of all it's v8 specific parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doing all my research on this car's vin #.. it was actually originally a 4 cyl 4spd car. .. won't do the monroe handler kit, i do like the original 7 i believe steel body 1s they made so i know the kit will never look the same. I got my exhaust manifolds and motor mounts yesterday. Just need the oil pan. Oh and also found a 8 in rear to swap out the little 7.5 i currently have..

The infamous hard to find manifolds and motor mounts

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bicycle part Gas Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Car

Stripping the quarter.. the boy loves his car and loves to work on it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts