Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got in yesterday and click click click at the selonoid, batteries good, as i put in new selenoid the battery is arcing as i pull off the positive from the battery. still wont turn over after the new selonoid is in, just clicks, bypassed the ground with cables and still nothing, other than a smoking selonoid. any words of wisdom

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
does it start if you jumper out the solenoid ? Use a screwdriver or two and make it so the to big terminals on the solenoid touch each other . if it starts then then the solenoid is bad . I've had new ones not work . next would be is the wiring from the solenoid to the starter good and not corroded ? if thats ok then the starter is bad or the engine is tied up :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we have now replaced all wires from the battery to the starter, and still nothing, we did push it down a hill and pop the clutch and it ran fine, we are now pretty sure its the starter, but we dont have a clue how to get it off, i am hoping some one knows the trick to getting that bad boy off, without having to lift the engine, its tight down there.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
so you bought it ? Maybe you can find a chiltons or haynes manual or maybe a ford service manual . I've never worked on one so i cant be much help to ya . did you check the solenoid ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
if your "solenoid" is clicking and you have voltage at the starter end of the cable, then you starter is shot.
The "solenoid" on the fenderwell is called the starter relay.
When you turn the key to start, the small wire is active 12 volts, closing the relaycontacts inside. It puts the 12 volts from the battery side to the starter side.
The part under the small cover on top of the starter is not a solenoid, it is an magnetically activated arm that pushes the starter gear into the flexplate(flywheel).

·
Registered
29 Posts
To change the starter,(done this one more than I care to think about)

Remove the plastic cover under the steering column, you will see the bolts holding up the steering column. Remove the 4 nuts with a 9/16" deepsocket .
Drop the column on the seat.
Jack up the car and support with jackstands.
Remove the 15/16" nuts holding the rack and pinion to the frame.
Push out the long attachment bolts.
Pull the rack and pinion down just past the frame.(that's why you unbolt the column)
Now you will see how easy it is to pull the starter out from the front.
With the battery disconnected for safety, remove the starter cable from the starter. 3/8" wrench.
Remove the two 9/16" bolts holding the starter, and pull it out from the front.

This should take about two hours to change it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts