Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's an INLINE 6, so this may be wrong category. I didn't see any specific section for these engines.

Beside the point, though. I'm considering buying a 1979 Mustang Ghia Coupe for my first car. It's a 3.3L engine. I'm not all too familiar with these engines, but I've read that they have a hair-raising 85 HP or so. I want to know if there are any cheap, easy ways to give it a bit more... umph.

I'm kinda mechanically challenged, so i would be learning to do some small addons and getting a more auto-friendly friend to install anything bigger. All the things I've seen online are for like every year EXCEPT the 79... kind of annoying... Any links/advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
As far as upgrading the existing engine...not really.

Is there a reason why you like this car in particular; since you already know you won't be happy with a pitiful 85 hp? Sounds like you want a car that you can upgrade and tinker with. Honestly, unless it's a garage kept mint condition uber low miles car, I don't think a 35 year old carbureted fox is a good first car for a 17 year old. JMO.

Even your typical later fox is 20ish years old and needs restoration work. All your time and money you think will be going into performance upgrades goes to stuff like worn suspension bushings, window dew wipes, door hinge bushings, etc.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Gotta agree, this car is gonna eat some coin, especially if you want it fast. No choice but to either swap in a 302 or find a turbocoupe 4cyl turbo to swap in. Either way, 3-5K to get it all done and driving, and that is not considering any other things neglected over the years.

If it's mint, it's a GREAT project, definitely thousands away from being a daily driver though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts