Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my new 8.8 axil in and i was wondering is there any sort of breaking in period i need to know about?

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Axle or rear gears? Either way, most are gentle for 500 miles, some say 1000 miles. When i get new rear gears, i always drive easy for 500 miles, then its fun time.

·
Registered
225 Posts
theres a 500 mile break in for new gears...no hard launches or driving over 50...

But i wasn't aware you had to break in a new rear end. If you do its probobly the same thing, 500 miles should be plenty.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Other posts on this forum have said 2 heat cycles are all that's need for break-in.

I wish I knew the real answer.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
^You would need a break in time if the swapped in unit was off of a brand new car or they installed the gears new after the swap. But if the GT had the gears on it and then swapped out the rear then you would not need to take it easy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its one of those "only 20 miles" ones from v6mustangstuff.com.
im also having trouble w/ the rear brakes coming off, they are oddly stubern. but yeah do i need to break the axle in

·
Registered
225 Posts
if it was on a GT before your car then you don;t need to break it in. Before its put on a car Ford breaks them in. Thats why theres no break in period on a new car :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.