Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 93' 4 cyl automatic with the one wheel peel. I was wanting to put in a 8.8 with posi. Can anyone tell me what 8.8's out of what cars I can use in my mule. I can hardly find 5.0 foxbodies in the yard so i'm wondering what else I can grab from. And I need it to be 4 lug that'll fit the mustang rim on it. Anyone?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also what size gears do I have and what size should I use to give it more pick-up? I'd like to take off the line quicker than I do, but i'd like to keep some top end.

·
Registered
266 Posts
your best bet in my opinion is a thunderbird turbo coupe or super coupe rearend... you might be able to find one at a junkyard or jump on craigs list

ur also probably gonna want to run a 3.73 for faster off the line aggression thats also found in the automatic turbo coupe

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your best bet in my opinion is a thunderbird turbo coupe or super coupe rearend... you might be able to find one at a junkyard or jump on craigs list

ur also probably gonna want to run a 3.73 for faster off the line aggression thats also found in the automatic turbo coupe
Turbos are hard to come by in the junkyards here. Anything else?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Turbos are hard to come by in the junkyards here. Anything else?
Just to clarify, the term Posi, or Posi-Traction is a GM application. Trac-Lok, or Traction-Lok is a Ford term. And yes, they are different.

Any post-86 Mustang up to 1998 will work as well.

As long as you are using a 28 spline unit, just put your axles in the swapped differential.

Remember something as well, that anything getting into the mid-to-late 90's has rear disc brakes, as does the 87-88 TC. You can put them on your car, but the MC and Proportioning valve will have to be swapped out as well if you go this route. And even then, they may not work real well with your current front disc brakes.

Whatever you find, I recommend that you change the diff fluid out. Make sure you add the 4 oz. of Friction Modifier to the fluid or you will be repeating the process. Do not get it on you, your clothes, etc. It smells like something that can only be man-made. Burn whatever clothing or rags that come in contact with it.......that is a joke BTW, don't really do it. But, you will have to throw away whatever it gets on. It ain't coming out in the wash, coin-op or not.

Another thing you can do is just buy a FRPP Trac-Lok Carrier and be done with it. FMS-M-4204-F288, $194.95 at Summit. You will spend a lot more than that messin' with the other stuff.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to clarify, the term Posi, or Posi-Traction is a GM application. Trac-Lok, or Traction-Lok is a Ford term. And yes, they are different.

Any post-86 Mustang up to 1998 will work as well.

As long as you are using a 28 spline unit, just put your axles in the swapped differential.

Remember something as well, that anything getting into the mid-to-late 90's has rear disc brakes, as does the 87-88 TC. You can put them on your car, but the MC and Proportioning valve will have to be swapped out as well if you go this route. And even then, they may not work real well with your current front disc brakes.

Whatever you find, I recommend that you change the diff fluid out. Make sure you add the 4 oz. of Friction Modifier to the fluid or you will be repeating the process. Do not get it on you, your clothes, etc. It smells like something that can only be man-made. Burn whatever clothing or rags that come in contact with it.......that is a joke BTW, don't really do it. But, you will have to throw away whatever it gets on. It ain't coming out in the wash, coin-op or not.

Another thing you can do is just buy a FRPP Trac-Lok Carrier and be done with it. FMS-M-4204-F288, $194.95 at Summit. You will spend a lot more than that messin' with the other stuff.

Thank you.:bigthumbsup This will work in my stang's rearend? How do I install one of these?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
You'll need a ring and pinion installation kit (bearings, shims, crush sleeve, pattern paint, etc) and possession and working knowledge of a dial indicator to install any differential whether it be 8.8, 7.5, 9", Dana 60...well you get the picture. If you don't get the gear pattern right, at best it will howl, at worst it'll eat itself up and you'll be right back in it doing it all over again with new parts.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it's easier to get the whole rearend from the yard and switch it?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
You could also go out in the commnity to see what a shop will charge you to install the carrier assembly. Look long and hard. Seek out shops that specialize in drivelines. They are out there.

Swapping out the 8.8 can end up costing you due to the disc brake issue. If you can find an 8.8 with drums, you might luck out.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, I forgot about that ........the rearend is harder that puting gas in the tank.......:laugh:

Nice Jr. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.