Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '67 mustang and wanted to add rear disc and limited slip. My question is will the SN95 or the explorer rear end fit? I know I will have to cut off all the brackets and weld on leaf spring perches. Is the over all length from rotor to rotor the same as the mustang's drum to drum? Is the differential off center in the '67? The one salvage yard said they can get me an explorer rear end complete with 3.73 gears for $200.
Also I did a T-5 conversion in it already, will the late model drive shaft work?

·
Registered
682 Posts
The SN95 unit is damn near right on for a 67-70. Add spring perches and hack off the excess crap and volia! The Explorers pinon is offset really far, like 5" according to my calibrated Mk1 eyeball. :D In other words, it's not that hot. The latemodel DS might just work if the length is right, that you'd have to check.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I dont know about the late model driveshaft, but I am currently putting a 96 gt rearend in my 67. I picked up it up with a posi complete disc to disc for $75, just watch around you will find something. SN95 is the way to go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
baw let me know how it comes out. What size rims are you going to be running on it? I was thinking of going with late model bullit wheels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am putting on stock bullits, if those are the wheels you want to go with just wait and find a sn95 rear. Then you wont have to put spacers on the back, I believe you still have to use spacers on fox body 8.8s but i am not positive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Baw i have a 67 mustang and want to put the posi and disc brakes on as well your going with a 96 GT rearend what all did you have to do to make it fit?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Jam - I didnt want to cut or weld anything to my car so I am cutting off all of the mounts and everything off of the 96 8.8 with a torch. I believe you have to weld a set of coil spring pads to the car if you want to use coils instead of leafs (I am not sure, you will have to check with someone else for that one. If you want to use your leaf springs grind everything smooth then weld a set of 3'' leaf spring perches to the 8.8. Then you can use stock leaf springs for it. (Mine isnt done yet since I ran out of oxygen for my torch) I havent figured out how to hook up the parking brake yet I was thinking about making a custom console and using a sn95 parking brake handle. For a master cylinder I am using a 86 mustang SVO (they came with factory 4 wheel discs) and a wilwood proportioning valve, I like my manual brakes so i dont think I will put on a booster. I believe a fox body 4 cylinder booster works, it is alot shorter than the 5.0 booster, there isnt much room behind the shock tower so be careful with picking out a booster. A sn95 rear end wont fit stock wheels, I would suggest going with 94-04 wheels. Bullits look wicked on a 67, my favorite look by far, I have black bullits with kuhmo tires(I paid $600, they had 5 miles on them). But if you dont want to spend the money on those you can get a pair of stock 99 wheels with tires for pretty cheap. Up front you will need a 1'' spacer if your going with the newer wheels. This started because I just wanted a posi in the rear but couldn't afford one for a 8'', a posi for an 8.8 is cheap and can be found anywhere. Some other axles that would work are the 86-93 Lincoln mark VII (require newer wheels), many came with factory posi and 3.27 gears. All of the Mark VII were factory rear vented disc, they can be found pretty cheap. But as far as convience of finding parts and everything I would just hold out for a SN95, that way all your calipers will match, I will be putting 13'' cobra brakes up front so everything should look pretty good. I'll let you know if I run into any problems along the way.

BAW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.