Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a really stupid question but why does my 2.3 inline have 8 spark plugs instead of the usual 4, everyone i know that has a 4 banger only has 4 plugs but mine has 8? i can get a picture to show you if you don't believe me.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Dual plug head. 2 spark plugs per combustion chamber. You probably don't have a distributor either, just coil packs. Probably a 91-up Mustang.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's actually an 87 lx, whats the difference though? what does it mean? does it make it any better?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm no expert on DIS (dual-plug ignition system) but I believe they were introduced around 1991. I'm fairly sure they weren't available in 1987. Someone probably swapped the later motor into your '87. But then, I surmise, they would've had to swap in the electronics also - computer, wiring harness, etc. I suggest you go to www.turboford.net or www.stangnet.com and ask over there. They're much more up on the DIS motors than I am.

Oh yeah, dual plugs means twice the spark, thus a much better burn of combustion chamber gasses which equates to cleaner emissions. Maybe even a slight increase in power, too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.