Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got a 1980 mercury capri (basically mustang) that i'm building. I'm putting together a 331 stroker with a c4 trans, 2800-3200 stall converter, and possible a trans brake. I've got a 8.8 rear end and from what i can tell this should be just fine with a new diff and axles. the problems i'm running into is suspension. it was originally a 4 cyl so it has the small brakes. I'm wondering what year spindles i should search for and also any other needed parts (ie. control arms, brakes, etc...). I'm also open to any and all suggestions as this is my first fox body and i wanna go big and do it right the first time. hoping to put this car in the 10's on motor. Please help with this build!!!

·
Registered
787 Posts
I think that if you are going to run a trans brake you will need more stall. A buddy runs a 5500 and brake on his stang, and has it chipped to leave at 4800. With a 2800 to 3200 you would be better off foot braking. I would think you would need at least a 4000 converter with the brake. Leaving with a trans brake, you have to have some good parts in the rear end,suspension, and trans. good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sporty

thanks for the input, i'm wanting to still be able to drive this car on the street so maybe the brake isn't the best idea for me. as much as i would like to leave on a brake i think that high of a stall would be a little much for the street.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think 1986 was the year they went to bigger spindles for the V8 cars, but I can't remember for sure. I put spindles from an 89 on my 83 and they more or less bolted right in. I needed to add 89 struts, brakes, etc. to make it all work, but they're certainly better than what came originally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts