Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i was wondering if anyone has any imformation on this 1981 6 cyl mustang that had a solinoid put in last time it drove, It sat for 6 months and drained the battery, hooked up jumper cables, ground wire started to smoke when i went to turn over, threw a new battery in and as soon as i hooked up the negative to the post it sparked, the connection and started turning the car over, with ignition off , Im thinking a old crap starter but dont wanna risk tossn money into the car, its nicely painted with really low KM so i goota keep it going, any suggestions????:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
206 Posts
well i would say it is the selonoid the starter only turns if the selonoid is activated. starter would not power otherwise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a new selinoid, do you think maybe they hooked it up backwards? to make the starter turn as soon as the battery is hooked up

·
Registered
206 Posts
could be, or could be faulty too. you should get little to no spark when ataching battery cables. Ford had some troubles in the 80's and early 90's with ignitions switch failures and fires too. there was a cardboard insulator that would wear allowing the power to go to ground. usualy also evident if shitch is worn. check ans see if when turned to run position if key will come out of the switch, ot if switch turns partway with no key. run veh and check to see if key gets hot when removed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts