Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've been looking for a while now and can't really seem to find the answer im looking for. I've got a 1984 mustang with a 73' 351c connected to a c6 3 speed tranny. (hate it) I've been wanting to swap the auto for a manual, i was just thinking a t5 or something to replace it with. But my question is would the t5 connect up to the 351 without a lot of bull ****? Has anyone done something similar that could give some advice? Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
40,049 Posts
And you chose wisely-AFM is great,glad to have you here!!

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
A manual swap isn't nearly as hard as you might think. I've done two.

You could do a T5, but you will probably require a heavy duty T5, or something along those lines. Astro is my heavy duty T5 brand of choice.

Any idea how much torque that engine produces? That number should be a big part of your transmission selection equation.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Does the cleveland share the same bolt pattern as a windsor? Wrong motor man, thats gonna limit your trans choices....unless that cleveland is built, id yank the entire engine and trans and swap out with a windsor based motor...modern performance options make the 351 and 302 easier motors to modify anyhow

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Does the cleveland share the same bolt pattern as a windsor? Wrong motor man, thats gonna limit your transmission choices.
351C uses the same bolt pattern as a 302/5.0 and a 351W. Your engine will not limit your choices.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Don't use a 302 flywheel on a 351. The 289 and 351 share the same balance, the 302 has it's own balance. If you use the wrong flywheel you'll have a nasty vibration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts